Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where do you carry your clay pipe.

Default Where do you carry your clay pipe.

Where do you gents carry you clay pipe to keep it from getting broke?
    Thanks

In your hat through the band. Or, through a button hole in your coat.
    Jas. T. Lemon
    Captain, 50th Va. Co. D

Not a smoker but carry one with other personal items to show the public. Usually carry it in my haversack and no problems with chips or breaks.

I would imagine soldiers carried their pipe and tobacco several places where it would be readily accessible.

Joe Musgrove
    "I fight for Uncle Abe"

I usually remove the stem from the bowl and place the bowl inside my tobacco bag. I then place the tobacco bag along with the stem in my knapsack or inside my blanket roll. For extra padding I usually wrap them in a pair of socks or sleeping cap.
    Lewis Robinson
    Armory Guards
    Snake Nation Disciples

"Of course, they say wars never settle anything - but that business about secession was settled by that war." Shelby Foote

I put it in my tobacco poke sack and then in the pocket of my jacket. No problems so far and extremely easy to get to.
    Paul Wolbeck
    1st Sgt., 33rd AL

Pvt. Ezra Walker
    36th OH, Co G Salem Light Guards

Tobacco in a little poke sack in my pocket. I weave the pipe stem through a pair of buttonholes in my shell jacket. Usually unless it's really cold or at a formation, I only button the first two or three buttons of my shell jacket.

Been doing this for years, with the same clay pipe.
    Brett Gibbons
    3rd Regt. C.S. Engineers, Co. E
    www.hartsengineers.com

Thanks for the replys. I have been putting it on my hat. Was just curious what everyone else does.
    Thanks again!

Sometimes my coat pocket. Sometimes in my haversack with the bowl inside my cup, padded with my baccy pouch. Remember that clay pipes get more fragile the longer you smoke them. When they get foul, you can burn off the sediments in a hot oven for about an hour, but afterwards that pipe is fragile as glass.
    Rob Weaver
    Pine River Boys, Co I, 7th Wisconsin
    "We're... Christians, what read the Bible and foller what it says about lovin' your enemies and carin' for them what despitefully use you -- that is, after you've downed 'em good and hard."
    -Si Klegg and His Pard Shorty

I always remove the reed stem from the clay bowl, since I'm afraid of the neck snapping. Beyond that I also keep it with tobacco in either my haversack or a pocket for easy access.
    Mel Glover
    -GG grandson of Cpl Christian Greener, 1st Wisconsin Cavalry, Co. F

-Rob Weaver is my guru:
    -"...one of the characteristics of a good reenactor is the willingness to not be bulletproof."
    -"Be more concerned with your own impression than with anyone else's."

Quote Originally Posted by Private Glover View Post
    I always remove the reed stem from the clay bowl, since I'm afraid of the neck snapping. Beyond that I also keep it with tobacco in either my haversack or a pocket for easy access.
    I've put the bowl in my pocket with my tobacco, and the reed in my haversack, too. It'll slide along the seam and just stay there until I want it. Like any old soldier, I find my gear more by feel than by sight. A couple years ago, I thought I'd lost the bowl of a really nice reed pipe that I'd only used for one weekend. I kicked myself up and down the house for being so careless - then I looked in the pocket of a 4-button I rarely wear. Son of a gun! What was lurking in the corner?!?
    BTW - Aw, shucks: thanks for your sig line!
    Rob Weaver
    Pine River Boys, Co I, 7th Wisconsin
    "We're... Christians, what read the Bible and foller what it says about lovin' your enemies and carin' for them what despitefully use you -- that is, after you've downed 'em good and hard."
    -Si Klegg and His Pard Shorty