Thread: newbie looking for plus sized items

Hybrid View

Post newbie looking for plus sized items

I am new to the hobby and am looking to outfit myself. I have one "work dress" I am looking for corsets and under pinning. I am also looking for Camp gear. Tent specifically. I am not rich, so looking for bargains. Can anyone point me in the correct direction please? Thanks!

How does FREE sound for a bargain?
    Mrs. Clark has been so very generous as to post FREE patterns for underpinnings... chemise, drawers, petticoats... in the "Auntie Maude's Curious Compendium of mid-19th Century Knowledge."
    These patterns you draft yourself... so they are very easy to customize for every figure.

For a corset... go with a reputable maker (until you feel confident you can direct a fitting buddy to a correct fit). DO NOT buy off-the-peg and expect it to fit without extensive tweaking. Expect to tweak every dress after the corset and skirt supports are acquired. Remember that fit is key to how you and your family are viewed in this era.

While you are exploring Mrs. Clark's articles, check out the ones on "Best Bet Wardrobe" and "Cost of Accuracy."

Good luck.
    -Elaine Kessinger

I am a member of the Sewing Academy and have seen the patterns. I am dreadful at drafting. I tried several times, it is something that I am not very good at, and frustrates me to no end. Especially as I have trouble understanding the instructions (I am a mild dyslexic). I am going to go with Kay G. for my corset.

I really need outer wear. I have an event in Feb. and I do not want to freeze. I am a seamstress, (not a great one as I fail at drafting.) so sewing is not a problem. I just need very clear and in depth pattern and instructions.

Thank you for your help and advice, I truly appericate it.

Regards,

Melissa