Thread: As some of you have some free time next week

Default As some of you have some free time next week

Here is a little project for you:
    http://www.boydmiles.com/wallet.html
    Boyd Miles

I dream of a world where a chicken can cross a road without having its motives called into question.

Quote Originally Posted by Boyd Miles View Post
    Here is a little project for you:
    http://www.boydmiles.com/wallet.html

Boyd, Nice piece...could you suggest a good way to make the necessary creases in the leather....I have put mine in a woodworking vice with success using the heavier leather...thanks, Joe
    As always, OBSVT, Joe Cress..... "General, if they put every man they have......on the field to approach me......just give me plenty ammunition.....I'll kill 'em all.....before they reach my lines."

I use a creasing tool but forming over a bit of heavy leather or wooden block would do nicely. Don't use a block of steel or iron as that would dye the leather.
    Boyd Miles

I dream of a world where a chicken can cross a road without having its motives called into question.

Quote Originally Posted by josie wales View Post
    Boyd, Nice piece...could you suggest a good way to make the necessary creases in the leather....I have put mine in a woodworking vice with success using the heavier leather...thanks, Joe
    Read it too quickly the first time. So, if you have a creasing tool then you know how to use it so this is for non leather workers. Get your leather damp but not soaking wet and lay the flap on the edge of a counter top or table with a sharp square edge, hang the flap over the edge and rub with your finger and thumb, repeat on the other flaps. Fold the whole as it should be when closed and press it flat, you could even put some weight on it at this point. Let it dry and if you didn't over do the water then you are done. If you over did the water then you may need to touch it up with some leather dressing suitable to the leather you used. For a one time project like this you can cut out your pattern in paper and hit the thrift shops for a purse that has big enough pieces (watch out for really good fake leather). If you have a leather shop in town (I don't) then take your pattern there and ask for 3oz tooling leather by the piece. Leather upholstery scraps can be had at most upholstery shops and is the right weight but it is going to be more flexible and less willing to take a crease but for an item this small would work, look for reds and browns.
    Boyd Miles

....thanks Boyd, great info....my leather work is fairly limited to repairing my tack...I know what Santa is giving my friends for Christmas....Joe
    As always, OBSVT, Joe Cress..... "General, if they put every man they have......on the field to approach me......just give me plenty ammunition.....I'll kill 'em all.....before they reach my lines."

Thanks Boyd for the great idea. I have some extra time and leather, however, I was a little confused by the thickness of the leather being used. Could you please clarify the thickness? I am eager to get started. Thanks again.
    Kurt Riedel
    2nd Mass. Cavalry, Co. A
    California Hundred

Great, great grandson of
    Pvt. John Murdock
    4th Pennsylvania Cavalry, Co. G
    M.I. Oct. 21, 1861
    M.O. Oct. 20, 1864

4 ounce leather looks to be about right so 3-5oz would work.
    Boyd Miles

For those of you without a scale 4oz leather is about the same thickness as a quarter you can make a quick scale by stacking three quarters with the center one offset to see if the leather will slip into the slot, if it does then it is thin enough if not then it is too thick.
    Boyd Miles