Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: What Rank Are You?

Thanks, Ken, for the very thoughtful post. I have long admired your "slogan," and feel it applies to this topic in a profoundly simple, yet elegant way.
    Bill Cross
    Treasurer, The Rowdy Pards

'In the end, it's the history, stupid. If you can't document it, forget about it. And no amount of tomfoolery can explain away anything that makes history (and living historians) look stupid and wrong."

The hobby is not the same as the actual war, simple statement of fact. In the hobby there is rank that has social meaning and has all the authority of being a Kentucky Colonel and is used among friends harmlessly. There is rank bestowed by organizations or events, be it by election or other political maneuvering it has use in the hobby. There are self declared generals and foreign officers for those who like cosplay, no problem unless they try to give orders and fits in the greater mission of the event. As to being able to perform in the rank it is best for the hobby if the person can but it just as historically correct that the officer is incompetent. It isn't hard to find period complaints of officers that didn't know their jobs in both armies, Bragg fought a hard fight against them and lost, he wasn't the only one who tried and failed to get rid of useless and at times dangerous wearers of rank.
    Summery; rank can be assigned for need, elected or self appointed. Wearing rank does not make you able to be effective now or then, now the ineffective are a nuisance then they were an actual hazard.
    Boyd Miles

I dream of a world where a chicken can cross a road without having its motives called into question.

With any organized group, "not just reenacting", you have those who take themselves too seriously and get on a "power trip." Personally, experience in the hobby and how a person conducts themselves holds more respect for me than rank.

In regards to the article. Yeah, we reenactors are a quarky group just like people who do other hobbies. "After all, don't golfers dress up in funny clothes, play in all kinds of weather, and spend lots of money on gear that has no other use outside the hobby"

Joe Musgrove
    "I fight for Uncle Abe"

Bill,

I forgot one thing...

(WARNING: THE WORD "RESPECT" IS USE FREQUENTLY IN THE POST)

Saluting...
    When I began reenacting it didn't take me long to tell the difference between a "checkbook officer" and a serious reenactor who put time and effort into his impression. In the beginning I saluted any reenactor who had the appropriate "rank". This quickly changed. Soon I only began to salute the impressions I respected.

The checkbook officers (posers) quickly lost my respect. The thing I found hard to believe was when these guys didn't understand why no one would respect their impression even though they were completely inept when giving commands. Any Fresh-fish could tell a "commanders" level of knowledge based on the effectiveness of the command and confidence at which it is given. Another odd thing was when they would fight with another reenactor, who had a higher level of "rank", in order to command the event. I would say, Hey guys! I'll settle this. Wait here while I go home and get my General McClellan uniform. Then I'll be overall federal Commander. ADUHHHH!

Another bad excuse was "I'm old with grey hair. So, the only impression I can have is military commander". No, sorry, there are plenty of "old guys" in the ranks. I wish I had a dollar for every time I saw Grampy in a private sack. That man wrote books or CW drill and was more qualified to lead that 75 percent of the "commanders" in the hobby. It's men like that who deserve our respect.

I have no issue with men who want to dress the part and perform a living history, however, appearing at an event with a commanding "rank" and expecting to give orders without the proper knowledge is just asking for trouble.

Pards,
    The only "rank" is reenactor, everything else is an impression.

Ken C.

Quote Originally Posted by electrichorseman View Post
    Bill,

Saluting...
    When I began reenacting it didn't take me long to tell the difference between a "checkbook officer" and a serious reenactor who put time and effort into his impression. In the beginning I saluted any reenactor who had the appropriate "rank". This quickly changed. Soon I only began to salute the impressions I respected.
    I was an NCO in the real Army, but often play an officer in our pretend armies. When I get saluted, I still tend to glance over my shoulder, looking for the officer behind me.
    Bill Rodman, If you need a really bad example.
    King of Prussia, PA
    wrodman1@aol.com

Quote Originally Posted by TheQM View Post
    I was an NCO in the real Army, but often play an officer in our pretend armies. When I get saluted, I still tend to glance over my shoulder, looking for the officer behind me.
    LOL!!! Pricesless!
    The only "rank" is reenactor, everything else is an impression.

Ken C.

I have been with my unit for 18 years now. I started as Private and was one for the longest time. Just the past 6 years I have been goin up in ranks. From Corporal for a few months. then Our Sgt. got a new job and wasn't able to come to many events. I was then the Sgt. Then just kept going up. 1st sgt. 2nd Lt. to 1st Lt. And now I was voted to be the Captain. The Captains are elected every year in our group. But the captain can only run for four years. I have put in two years. I have two more left. After that, it depends with the unit where I will go from there. I wouldn't mind going back to Private. I miss firing my Sharps. A friend in my unit keeps quoting "Toy Story" were Woody says "YOU ARE A TOY!!!!" That is all we are when we portray our ranks. We have no real rank. It's make believe. We are Reen Actors.
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
    - Abraham Lincoln -

Brian Mensching

Capt. B.A. Mensching of the
    8th Illinois Cavalry Regiment ~ Company B
    www.8thillinoiscavalry.org

Quote Originally Posted by SackCoat View Post
    With any organized group, "not just reenacting", you have those who take themselves too seriously and get on a "power trip." Personally, experience in the hobby and how a person conducts themselves holds more respect for me than rank. In regards to the article. Yeah, we reenactors are a quarky group just like people who do other hobbies. "After all, don't golfers dress up in funny clothes, play in all kinds of weather, and spend lots of money on gear that has no other use outside the hobby"

That sounds like the captain in my unit.
    Mike Phineas
    Arlington, TX
    24th Missouri
    Army of the Frontier
    www.24thmissouri.org

\"The floggings will continue until morale improves...\"

I was elected( against my wishes) (your the 1st sarg.) last year for our units. I have been nothing but a private for more than a dozen years. I am still in the learning curve. When we consolidate with other companies I am more than willing to step down to watch and to learn. I carry 2 sets of uniforms. I will be again this year as no one really wants to be anything other than a private.
    Now onto those officers who have been nothing but one for years-- dropping into the ranks once or twice a year to carry a musket don't make it for me. Your a poser. Everyone knows that it's temporary including that officer who is leading. They keep looking back to see what your going to say or make remarks about wether snide or not.
    If you have been there forever everyone knows your jokes, everyone know what formations you like and use, it's not that the troops are comfortable with it they are getting bored. And please don't do drill with evolutions that will never be seen again at events. There are whole companies that won't come out and drill because we are doing stuff that wee will not use that weekend, or ever see again. Practice whats going to be done that weekend. Don't sit the troops out there for 1/2 hour or longer doing nothing while your going through the new stuff with your staff off to the side. HOLD staff meetings before hand.
    Cris Westphal
    Civil War Reenactor

It's "replies" like the above that should get this thread locked.
    WTH
    Yuma gonna luv it