Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lincoln

All in all, this certainly isn't the worst period piece out there and when looked at in that context, I think it stands up well against other movies depicting this era. Did it have it's problems? Yep. Would I have done a couple things differently? Perhaps, but for some reason I have been unable to break into the movie making biz and create a historical blockbuster?! I know, I can't figure it out either!

We could nit pick this film all day long, but, as others have said, it is just a film, not a historical narrative that dots every single one of our i's and crosses all of out t's for us, nor did it ever claim to be. I imagine if you spent the time and resources getting every single detail completely accurate in a film of this period, you'd either never finish making the thing or create a bigger snoozefest of a movie for the vast majority of movie goers. Yeah, we'd all be over here on our jollies because someone finally got it all right but since we are such a tiny niche in the world of moviegoers, most people probably wouldn't care or know what they were looking at anyways. As far a blatant historical errors go, I imagine/hope/assume it's for the good of the story and provides something to the moviegoer that doesn't already know about i.e. the brutality and aftermath of a battlefield.

And while we're on the subject of snoozefests, if my calculations are correct, those who slept through it paid about ten bucks for a two hour nap! Maybe the sleep's more valuable, who knows? I must say I mean absolutely no offense to any wives/girlfriends as I had to nudge my wife a few times through this one as well, I'm merely joking. I guess I'm just a really cheap moviegoer and think that the whole experience of seeing a movie anymore is grossly overpriced. In the fairer sex's defense, I generally zone out when your programming is on too, so we're even!

I guess I'm just glad that a movie is made about our time period at least every few years and that at least this time, high quality people were involved in the making.
    Charlie Thayer
    Liberty Rifles

I finally have gotten up to the point in Kearns-Goodwin's book that deals with the film's events, and it's about 10 pages tops in a 500 page book, LOL!

I'm happy to have a film that shows the 19th Century with all its good and bad points, with costumes and a script that don't do an injustice to the men & women of the period, and covering a topic (passage of the 13th Amendment) that I had known very little about. For all those who have said it was "boring," the robust ticket sales would seem to indicate that enough people have been entertained (or even inspired) by it to prove to Hollywood that you don't need vampires to "sell" Lincoln.
    Bill Cross
    Treasurer, The Rowdy Pards

'In the end, it's the history, stupid. If you can't document it, forget about it. And no amount of tomfoolery can explain away anything that makes history (and living historians) look stupid and wrong."