Thread: Post-Civil War Veteran Impressions

Hybrid View

Default Post-Civil War Veteran Impressions

Another thread was immediately shut down because someone asked about an article of clothing that was post war. But, what if that question was in regard to something a Civil War Veteran would have worn?

With our aging reenactor population, many of us will be doing GAR/SCV impressions in the very near future and the need to discuss clothing from the later periods may be necessary. If the topic concerns Civil War veterans, even in the post-war years, then it should, in my opinion, not be restricted.

By comparision, virtually all Civil War statues were post war, yet there is a space on this web forum to discuss statues. Most battlefield preservations issues have their roots in the post-war period, indeed right up to the current day, yet there is space to discuss them.

Therefore I suggest and request a area on this forum be created to discuss post-war veteran impressions, to include discussions of post-war clothing pertaining to veterans feely, without penalty of moderator lock-down due to being off topic.

Interesting point. By virtue of this site being for Civil War reenactors, we as a collective would have to discuss how the study of Civil War Veterans would further our study of the War itself. I can see some value in it, but state as a moderator here that there is a vast difference in the material culture and clothing versus the preservation aspect of battlefields and monuments. I can see that if we allow the discussion of modern-day preservation and statues here (which doesn't necessarily guide our knowledge directly of the war or further our advancement in reenacting, they are important nonetheless. We will not support the discussion of post CW material culture unless it has a direct tie to a CW impression, but we can support, after some conversations, the discussion of GAR/UCV related items if it furthers our knowledge of man, methods, and material culture. That said, we cannot create another folder for post-war discussion. It either directly relates to a folder already created or faces lock-down if it doesn't. Discussing post-war drawers only keeps people searching for and wearing the wrong clothing.
    Ross Lamoreaux
    Moderator and Sewer of Historical Clothing and Tall Tales

"But our opportunity to learn and grow, to communicate the richness of the lives that have gone before us, that does not change. We do not outgrow it. It does not tatter and fall apart in our hands..." -Mrs. Terre Lawson, 2010