Thread: tongue depressors

Default tongue depressors

Anyone know where to obtain repro tongue depressors or would I have to find an orriginal? could this be fabricated easily like bullet probes?
    David Meister

Surgeon C.S.A.

1st Assistant Surgeon 108th Regt. Ills. Vols.

Not personally aware of anyone with period reproductions. They tended to be a novelty item it appears. Only one of my many originial medical kits has one. That one dates to 1856 and is made of flat nickle/silver. Could be fairly easily reproduced using flat hobby plate metal, shaped/filed accordingly, would be lot less expensive than and risk of losing an original. More times than not the surgeon simply used a piece of cloth held between the thumb and forefinger to grasp the end of the tongue for a look-see. Good luck with it..
    Lieut Frederick Sineth
    14th Virginia Infantry Regt Co.I
    - 106th Penna Vol Co.F

- Pegrams Va Artillery
    - 150th Sailors Creek

Did a search, found this among others. Seems stiff at $30 but at least it's actual ivory.

http://www.yankeecollector.com/catal...24/9364987.htm

Hope that helps. Never thought of adding a tongue depressor to a kit, yet I don't do a surgeon impression. I would be impressed to see one at a reenactment.

The handle of a table spoon would also do the job.
    -Elaine Kessinger

I have seen an original and know who hasit maybe I should borrow and try to copy it
    David Meister

Surgeon C.S.A.

1st Assistant Surgeon 108th Regt. Ills. Vols.