Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Vocabularial Complaint!

Default A Vocabularial Complaint!

Everyone seems to be doing this: Fox News, MSNBC, and everyone in between.

If a person sustains bodily damage due to intentional causes, then it's a wound. People are not "injured" by snipers, machine guns, rockets, or IEDs--they are "wounded." Now, if a soldier falls out of the back of a truck because he's a clutz, it's an injury. If he's blown out of the back of a truck when it hits a mine, he's wounded.

Let's not use euphemisms so we don't have to think about the ugly results of war.
    Mel Glover
    -GG grandson of Cpl Christian Greener, 1st Wisconsin Cavalry, Co. F

-Rob Weaver is my guru:
    -"...one of the characteristics of a good reenactor is the willingness to not be bulletproof."
    -"Be more concerned with your own impression than with anyone else's."

I think that a wound is a type of injury. An open would is where the skin in torn, cut or punctured. A closed wound is caused by blunt force trauma, usually resulting in contusion.
    But I understand the point. Getting shot is not quite the same as falling off the porch.
    A. Redd
    Andy Redd

1828 Definition

IN'JURY, n. [L. injuria; in and jus,juris, right.]

1. In general, any wrong or damage done to a man's person, rights, reputation or goods. That which impairs the soundness of the body or health, or gives pain, is an injury. That which impairs the mental faculties, is an injury. These injuries may be received by a fall or by other violence. Trespass, fraud, and non-fulfillment of covenants and contracts are injuries to rights. Slander is an injury to reputation, and so is cowardice and vice. Whatever impairs the quality or diminishes the value of goods or property, is an injury. We may receive injury by misfortune as well as by injustice.

2. Mischief; detriment.

Many times we do injury to a cause by dwelling on trifling arguments.

3. Any diminution of that which is good, valuable or advantageous.
    Boyd Miles

I dream of a world where a chicken can cross a road without having its motives called into question.

1828 Definition

WOUND, n. [G.]

1. A breach of the skin and flesh of an animal, or of the bark and wood of a tree, or of the bark and substance of other plants, caused by violence or external force. The self-healing power of living beings, animal or vegetable, by which the parts separated in wounds, tend to unite and become sound, is a remarkable proof of divine benevolence and wisdom.

2. Injury; hurt; as a wound given to credit or reputation.

WOUND, v.t. To hurt by violence; as, to wound the head or the arm; to wound a tree.

He was wounded for our transgressions. Isaiah 53.

WOUND, pret. and pp. of wind.
    Boyd Miles

I dream of a world where a chicken can cross a road without having its motives called into question.

Of course, where the air was so full of leaden hail, the narrow escapes from death or injury were numerous. Perhaps one of the most remarkable is that of a couple of officers who were stretched at full length upon the ground, not over three feet apart, when a cannon ball passed between them, ploughing the ground a foot deep and literally covering them with dirt, but leaving them though quite badly scared, uninjured. The "Twentieth Connecticut": a regimental history
    By John Whiting Storrs

While your complaint may be valid in modern usage it isn't incorrect for the period so has no validity on this forum.
    Boyd Miles

General Early was not mortally wounded; his injuries are severe, but it is believed he will soon recover and be able to take the field again. War history of the old First Virginia Infantry Regiment, Army of Northern Virginia
    By Charles T. Loehr
    Both words used in a single sentence.
    Boyd Miles

How about the useage of "Passed or Pass away", again trying to nice up the results of Death and Dying or being Killed, makes me sick, I myself won't use those PC phrases to discuss my dead relitives or family members, they were killed and are dead, not "Passed away".

Pvt. Gerald Drake
    24th NC

Once again you are applying modern values and usage upon terms that were well know and widely used in the period, if you want to complain about such things I suggest you take it to OTB as your complaints are not correct for the Civil War period.
    Boyd Miles

Our long known and well tried friend, Wm. A. Gold, has passed away from among us, the shadow of the black wing of death has passed over his house and the portals of eternity have closed both behind him and his youngest child -- little CLARENCE, within the brief space of forty-eight hours.September 27, 1862, Dallas Herald
    Boyd Miles

Moderator Note: Although I think this thread has run its course and is soon to see a lock, at least if you're going to debate someone, use proper grammar and refrain from vulgarities....
    Ross Lamoreaux
    Moderator and Sewer of Historical Clothing and Tall Tales

"But our opportunity to learn and grow, to communicate the richness of the lives that have gone before us, that does not change. We do not outgrow it. It does not tatter and fall apart in our hands..." -Mrs. Terre Lawson, 2010