Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: National Events

Hank,

I agree with you 100%.

There is always a trade off in anything.

Having put on events such as Burkittsville, War on the James, Welborne as so forth on one hand, and September Storm, At High Tide, and Maryland my Maryland on the other there is always something that have to, well, "give"

Just like the upcoming IHR event this April will be different from all of the above.

Each and every event has a goal, and as such not all events can be lumped together...or even should be.

Sometimes people want to lump events I put on together...when in fact there are differing goals for each.

War on the James was for immersion for participants.....Maryland my Maryland and At High Tide were put on to just for once, to have larger events with numbers but still maintain rules and regs and have good battle scenarios....

IHR will have civilians like at War on the James, with the military focussing on during period tasks in a period manner, while in the "fog of war" and dealing with period issues you don't encounter at your typical powder burner...and being judged while doing so...sorta like the Recon series on speed.

I always try to "sell" an event honestly based upon its respective goals.

No one event will make everyone happy, and sometimes it bothers me a lot as well....knowing that to get A, I had to sacrifice B...

I do try to be honest and upfront so folks know what to expect however....

Pards,
    S. Chris Anders
    Southern Division
    www.southerndivision.org
    http://www.civilwarhenrico.com/

There is nothing more difficult to take in hand, more perilous to conduct, or more uncertain in its success, than to take the lead in the introduction of a new order of things. - Niccoló Machiavelli, The Prince. 1537.

Quote Originally Posted by captdougofky View Post
    RJ

Given your statement, Perryville this year was International-----------------------Was it the Golf Carts or the EMS on site that took it over the top (International). Still on a learning curve with some of the things we MS expect. Being so close to Chicago I assume you went. From what was posted they raised 50 thousand. Not bad given the numbers (2000) there. I wish others would use their Accounting and Donation method.

Always Doug
    I was there, one of the Federal Buglers. Actually I took a ride in a golf cart and utilized the services of the EMS.....go flipped of a horse Saturday Morning prior to the battle.....3 broken ribs.....
    RJ Samp
    Horniste! Blas das Signal zum Angriffe!
    "But in the end, it's the history, stupid. If you can't document it, forget about it. And no amount of 'tomfoolery' can explain away conduct that in the end makes history (and living historians) look stupid and wrong. "