Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: National Events

Lightbulb National Events

Given the nature of the Hobby, what is the base line of a National Event. With food and Fuel at a some of the highest levels we've seen in years, appears Folks are staying close to home. Numbers may be down due to Folks leaving the Hobby, due to age and cost. What some call National now, in the past would only rate as a large Regional Event. With the 150th cycle in full swing, and the 1863 events coming up what should we all expect as far as numbers. Some Folks pick events based on who and how many folks are going to be there. Gettysburg comes to mind as a Mega Event. What do some of you all expect to be there given the nature of the Hobby. Should other Events rate being called National given how some of the 1862 reenactments who call themselves National, only to have in my mind Regional numbers? It appears to be a trend, so the the term National Event need to reflect current numbers as opposed to the past.

Always

Doug Thomas
    Lyons-Kentucky
    Holding on the High ground

Personally, I really do not care one way or another. National, Regional, Mega, big deal not. All I care about is a quality event. Numbers have never been the issue. However with the price of everything on the rise. I may instead focus on more local events, and attempt to improve them by joining with like minded men and women to raise the standards within our own area at the event.

S.D.Swart

National events, meaning those huge events with large numbers of reenactors from many different locations and philosophies across the reenacting spectrum, are a mixed bag. It takes a very long time to get a very large group of volunteers pointed in the same direction at the same time, so expect to spend a lot of time standing in line, moving a little, and standing around some more. Expect to tax the sanitary facilities and expect to see honey-wagons, emergency vehicles and water deliveries at virtually any and all hours. You may have to upgrade your mental photshop software because the present will intrude. It's all about the battle, everything else is ancillary. Do not expect an immersion experience. If you attend with your eyes wide open to this reality, you'll have much more fun.
    Rob Weaver
    Pine River Boys, Co I, 7th Wisconsin
    "We're... Christians, what read the Bible and foller what it says about lovin' your enemies and carin' for them what despitefully use you -- that is, after you've downed 'em good and hard."
    -Si Klegg and His Pard Shorty

Seems to me that every "National Event" I have attended in the last two years were attended within a just few of hitting the maximum allowed registration. Seems to me that the only way to judge whether or not there is a drop in numbers will be to hold an unlimited event of some great interest, like Gettysburg and see how many show up. However, I do agree that the uncertainty in the economy has forced many to cut back. I have more spare uniforms (gleaned from those who have left the hobby) than ever before.

Harry
    Member 5th Texas Co. A/1st NC Artillery. Disabled Viet Nam veteran, 1970. I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4UcaLHaabY

Doug, I think most people would agree that an event that had reenactors from Kentucky and at least one other state would be an International Event.....

Just sayin'
    RJ Samp
    Horniste! Blas das Signal zum Angriffe!
    "But in the end, it's the history, stupid. If you can't document it, forget about it. And no amount of 'tomfoolery' can explain away conduct that in the end makes history (and living historians) look stupid and wrong. "

Numbers don't matter. It's a National Event if it pays bounties, has ice available, and publicly announces how much they made so we can follow the money.

But then, what do I know? I'm one of the people who is going to ruin the hobby next year by attending the wrong Gettysburg, instead of sucking it up under lousy commanders.
    Bernard Biederman
    30th OVI
    Co. B

RJ

Given your statement, Perryville this year was International-----------------------Was it the Golf Carts or the EMS on site that took it over the top (International). Still on a learning curve with some of the things we MS expect. Being so close to Chicago I assume you went. From what was posted they raised 50 thousand. Not bad given the numbers (2000) there. I wish others would use their Accounting and Donation method.

Always Doug

Flattop

That would be nice on the donation side of things. 1st. Federal Division in charge of the Western Troops, at the BGA-Gettysburg event? They are or have been the other half of the equation here in the West with Celburne's Division. How was the turn out for Vicksburg. Some folks posted concern on the support side by Federals? What or how many from your part of the country showed up. I think Food/Fuel cost will play a major role in Folks planning going forward. Time will tell.

Always Doug

This, "National Event," thing is idiotic. This is a hobby, folks will only go to events which give them what they want from their hobby; ergo, 3 Gettysburg events (yes, at least 3, there's living histories in the park too, don't forget.). Nobody cares about numbers, or "national events" only what in their eyes is, "event quality," biggest bang for their buck, if you will, these days. The days of showing up and doing as you please, are beginning to disappear, I hope. The "masses" are speaking with their feet.
    Eli Heagy
    187th PV

The 137th NY performed way, way better than the 20th Maine at Gettysburg. They just didn't have a self promoting blow hard of a Col. leading them. Maybe you should look up the history of the 83rd Pennsylvania too, they make the 20th Maine look like the rookies they were.
    There are some very good books out there about the fighting on Culps and Lower Culps Hill. Vincent's Brigade had nothing on those boys at the other end of the line.

Dear Sir,
    Vicksburg was poorly supported by Federals other than the medical team and perhaps some artillery. This was undoubtably due inpart to the support for Perryville. Still, Confederates galvinized and of the three Vicksburg scenarios, one was first-rate, one lackluster and the final assault on the Texas Lunette, was outstanding.
    From a private's point of view numbers do count. It's incredible to stand in line of battle and witness troops as far as can be seen. Most battles in other reenacting periods look ridiculous due to the paucity of soldiers involved.
    No event is totally satisfying for all in the hobby and hobbyists will attend the events they like.
    all for the old flag,
    David Corbett