Thread: BBC America's "Copper"

Default BBC America's "Copper"

Has anybody had a chance to see Copper?

I started watching the 10 episode mini-series it a few weeks back. For those who aren't familiar, it "a gripping crime drama series, set in 1864 New York City, filled with intrigue, corruption, mystery and murder. Kevin Corcoran (Tom Weston-Jones, “MI-5″), an Irish-American former boxer turned cop, returns from the Civil War to find his wife missing and his daughter dead. Corcoran seeks justice for the powerless in the notorious immigrant neighborhood of Five Points." (bbcamerica.com) More info here.

The story line is dark, but is almost like a 1864 CIS complete with forensics. I have enjoyed watching the show but question some of the historical accuracy as well as the accuracy of some of the material culture.

I'd be interested in hearing other's thoughts.

Yours,
    the other nathan

Rancho San Rafael, Republic of the Pacific

Good show, and well made. Good reminder that life in New York City didn't stop for the war. The class divide is well represented. Not sure about that leather sack coat.
    Andrew Grim
    Monte Mounted Rifles, Monte Boys
    Mess of Myself
    Occasional 7%er

"Los Angeles at the close of the Rebellion was the most vindictive, uncompromising community in the United States" Horace Bell

Nick Sekela's police uniform frock work stands out, but the rest overlaps with the costume department of "Deadwood," for some reason.
    Marc A. Hermann.
    The Daybreak B'hoys.
    Liberty Rifles - Hardtack Society.
    Oliver Tilden Camp No. 26, SUVCW - Co. I, 83rd NYV, SVR.

Descendant of Pvt. E. Hermann, 45th PA Militia - Capt. Wm. K. and Lt. Geo. W. Hopkins, 7th PA Reserves - Pvt. Jos. A. Weckerly, 72nd PA Infantry - Pvt. Thos. Will, 21st PA Cavalry.

Actually a leather paletot but it does stand out. Main character is boring to watch. Should call it "CSI-Deadwood"

I was disillusioned and bored after the third episode. Sekela's contributions to the wardrobe were the only shining moments. Didn't Greg Starbuck make some of the headgear, or am I imagining this?
    Mike Seemann.

Once again they have an EPIC fail on dressing prostitutes... and the underpinnings are pure fantasy.

Like much of the series... what might seem engaging to modern audiences (or what the advertising folks THINK ought to be engaging to modern audiences) is SO far removed from period thought that it doesn't transcend for me the way they would hope.

The costume flubs are too much for me to ignore.
    -Elaine Kessinger

I think it is a British look at an American era, looking at it this way and understanding it is still network TV helps. As the series went on it did cover the election of Lincoln, 1864, and the corruption at the ballot box, Tammany Hall is referenced, along with the CSA terror attack on Broadway Hotels. It is TV but at lest is isn't insulting to the basic intelligence of American TV. I still found it entertaining. Watching it as a documentary, no. Watching it as TV , fun.
    Peter Kappas, reenactor
    63rd PVI Co. C
    Freedom, PA