Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Visiting New Orleans.....

Question Visiting New Orleans.....

Going to be visiting in about a week.
    From actual experiences...
    Other than the 'must see' Confederate museum and Jefferson Davis last residence, what are some good, interesting places (civil war wise), to visit in The Big Easy?
    -Patrick Q.

The Mint/Treasury building was interesting, and although not Civil War, the War of 1812 battlefield at Chalmette is well worth it. There is also a gunshop/militaria store in the French Quarter (whose name escapes me) that had some impressive CW arms
    Ross L. Lamoreaux
    Tampa Bay History Center
    www.tampabayhistorycenter.org
    On Facebook at: Tampa Bay History Center Living History Programs

"The simplest things, done well, can carry a huge impact" - Karin Timour, 2012

Dear sir,
    If you appreciate cemetaries (!), the gallant Hood, Sidney Johnston, et . al. have found final repose in the Crescent City. The Confederate Museum has outstanding relics albeit in the cramped quarters and less than visitor-friendly confines of the building . One of General Beauregard's homes is in the French Quarter. Soak up the atmosphere if possible. Have a cigar, stroll and enjoy a mint julep.The toy soldier shop Le Petit Soldier is worth visiting if still open.
    all for the old flag,
    David Corbett

Are any of the Octaroons still plying their skills in the apartments overlooking Jackson Square?
    RJ Samp
    Horniste! Blas das Signal zum Angriffe!
    "But in the end, it's the history, stupid. If you can't document it, forget about it. And no amount of 'tomfoolery' can explain away conduct that in the end makes history (and living historians) look stupid and wrong. "

i know this is not Civil War Related, but i really enjoyed the WWII - D DAY Museum. It is well done and has even been expanded since I was there last. The WWII museum is only a block away from Lee Circle and the Confederate Museum. The website for the museum is http://www.ddaymuseum.org/

Jeremy Thompson

Default Latittes taver/shop

http://www.lafittesblacksmithshop.com

Been there long before the war.
    Paul Bostick
    Stillwater, OK

"For bad coffee, I play bad. For good coffee... I play the same as for bad coffee, it's all a matter of perspective".

To GGrandDad Captain TCK Bostick, Army of Mississippi, 2nd Corp, 5th Regiment, Company I (Kemper Rebels). Killed at the battle of Shiloh

Northwestern State University in historic Natchitoches, LA

The militaria shop is on Royal street and it is named Cohen And Sons. Good place but high prices. There is also a little shop across the street that sells CW items. All of this is near the Louisiana Supreme Court building. The Blacksmith shop is just a bar, but it does have some good piano players in the evening. If it is your first time do all the tourist stuff: visit Jackson Square, eat at Cafe du Monde, see St. Louis Cathedral, visit the Confederate Memorial Hall and National WWII Museum. Eat at Cafe Masperios on Decatur St across from Jax Brewery. I hope this helps!
    Jason Thibodeaux
    Independent Rifles
    Swamp Angels
    Pelican Civil War #1861

Thumbs up We'll See....

Thanks.
    I'll try and see them all if I can.....
    -Patrick Q.

And when you have to eat go to "Moms". It is near the French Quarter on the other side of Canal St. Most anyone can tell you where it is. Best Po-boys anywhere.
    Jim Mayo
    Member of the old vets mess.

http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Try the Napoleon House for a Sazerac (or two).
    Charles Kevin Traxler
    "Any Fate But Submission"