Thread: Join the artillery +++no marching! +++northern virginia based u.s artillery.

protohuman Guest

Default Join the artillery +++no marching! +++northern virginia based u.s artillery.

The fifth u.s. Artillery, battery d, hazlett's battery is looking for a few good men or women age 14-104 for our active 2013 season. We are an independent civil war u.s artillery battery reenactment group based out of northern/northwestern virginia. Our captain is tom lomax of linden, va. We have two napoleon cannons and limbers. We will be having a battery meeting on or about december 1st, 2012 to plan our coming year. Please contact first sergeant jan david kopacz at 571-572-0594 or email bizjet@verizon.net (all lower case) for further details.

Good luck with your efforts! Have been a fan of Hazlett's Battery since I was very young, and one of my earliest memories of visiting Gettysburg involves their position on Little Round Top; just wondering, any plans to portray different units? Plenty of batteries that historically had Napoleons out there to be represented, though Hazlett used Parrott rifles, right?
    Marc A. Hermann.
    The Daybreak B'hoys.
    Liberty Rifles - Hardtack Society.
    Oliver Tilden Camp No. 26, SUVCW.

Descendant of Pvt. E. Hermann, 45th PA Militia - Capt. Wm. K. and Lt. Geo. W. Hopkins, 7th PA Reserves - Pvt. Jos. A. Weckerly, 72nd PA Infantry - Pvt. Thos. Will, 21st PA Cavalry.

protohuman Guest

Hi Marc,
    We not only honor Lt. Hazlett, but we also had a Medal of Honor recipient, Owen McGough.

No plans to portray other units at this time. We have been doing Battery D for so long we feel we ARE Battery D. A number of our members are professional teachers.

Personally, I do galvanize, whenever an artillery unit of either side needs an extra grunt, as I travel with my wife, Nancy Jennis Olds, photojournalist of the "CIVIL WAR NEWS". I also have a number of friends in the 54th U.S. infantry and attend many of their programs in an about Washington, DC.

Battery D does have big plans from now until the 150th of Appomattox where we will definitely honor the surrender. Both Capt. Tom and myself were at the 100th ( a LONG time ago) of First Bull Run though we did not know each other at the time. We want to be at the 150th of the "end of the war" together and with our artillery brothers, old and new. We will be at Cedar Creek and Fort Pocahantas (Battle of Wilson's Warf) as well.

Thanks for the reply, 1st Sgt. Jan

protohuman Guest

Quote Originally Posted by protohuman View Post
    The fifth u.s. Artillery, battery d, hazlett's battery is looking for a few good men or women age 14-104 for our active 2013 season. We are an independent civil war u.s artillery battery reenactment group based out of northern/northwestern virginia. Our captain is tom lomax of linden, va. We have two napoleon cannons and limbers. We will be having a battery meeting on or about december 1st, 2012 to plan our coming year. Please contact first sergeant jan david kopacz at 571-572-0594 or email bizjet@verizon.net (all lower case) for further details.
    Yes, Hazlett used Parrots. Wish we had them too but the Capt. Tom takes great care of his Napoleons and they are beauties.

Moderator Note: please refrain from extra commentary on recruiting posts (even when valid critique) - use email or the PM function if you must....
    Ross Lamoreaux
    Moderator and Sewer of Historical Clothing and Tall Tales

"But our opportunity to learn and grow, to communicate the richness of the lives that have gone before us, that does not change. We do not outgrow it. It does not tatter and fall apart in our hands..." -Mrs. Terre Lawson, 2010

WWLeaves Guest

Default Join the artillery

We recently relocated to the Winchester VA area and were thinking of getting more involved in the civilian side of things (getting a bit too old to be running around the fields!) but artillery might be interesting as well. Please reply with good times to contact you.

Russ Forrest

protohuman Guest

Quote Originally Posted by WWLeaves View Post
    We recently relocated to the Winchester VA area and were thinking of getting more involved in the civilian side of things (getting a bit too old to be running around the fields!) but artillery might be interesting as well. Please reply with good times to contact you.

Russ Forrest
    Hi Russ,
    Please give me a call at 571-572-0594 anytime. Jan, First Sgt., 5th U.S. Artillery

protohuman Guest

Default Sth u.s. Artillery will participate at fort pocahontas may 18 & 19 2013

THE 5TH U.S. ARTILLERY WILL PARTICIPATE IN THE 2013 FORT POCAHONTAS AT WILSON'S WHARF REENACTMENT THIS YEAR ON MAY 18 & 19. WE CAN USE SOME GOOD ARTILLERY MEN, male or female ages 14-87. IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN JOINING US IN THIS REENACTMENT Please give me a call at 571-572-0594 anytime. Jan, First Sgt., 5th U.S. Artillery jdkopacz@verizon.net.