Thread: Confederate Guidon Flag ?

Default Confederate Guidon Flag ?

I have been offered a confederate infantry Guidon flag, supposedly used as a guide for marking the left or right of the column when marching. There is documentation that comes with the flag proving that it is genuine from this particular confederate company.
    The document clearly states it was an Infantry unit.
    Since this purchase involves a load of money I was wondering if anyone had any knowledge of the confederate army using such a thing or was it just for training and not an “Official” type of flag.

Pvt. Gerald Drake
    24th. NC

Wow...be very very careful...I would worry and walk away.

Pards,
    S. Chris Anders
    Southern Division
    www.southerndivision.org
    www.rearrank.com
    www.marylandmymaryland.org

There is nothing more difficult to take in hand, more perilous to conduct, or more uncertain in its success, than to take the lead in the introduction of a new order of things. - Niccoló Machiavelli, The Prince. 1537.

There are so many people trying to scam people out there today I would never buy any kind of antique without an opinion from an expert, preferably one I was paying.

I would be very hesitant to accept any "paperwork" or "documentation" as proof of anything, unless said documentation has a name of someone I could call and they could verify the paperwork reliably.

Steve
    Steve Sheldon

I have no knowledge of such a flag...whether it existed or not. Would it be possible to take a photo and post it here? I'm skeptical like the others and I'd hate to see you get taken.

Gregg Hensley
    22 NCST, Co.K
    Carolina Legion

How can I include it in a "Post"???
    I do have a photo of the flag.
    The documents are a noterized imbossed certificate of Authinticty along with a recipt from an antique shop again stating that this is real. BUT, the antique shop is out of business and the dealer that owned it is dead. He garentees that it is real, and that it is in fact a flag from the CW.
    It does look old and it don't glow under black light, the weave of the cotton is period, the stiching is hand done.
    He wants $1000.00 for it.
    It measures 22 x 35 inches. with the St. Andrews cross and 13 stars.

My wife wants something to get me for Christmas, and this is what I found, just don't want to get taken.

Pvt. Gerald Drake

I have only seen one and it was from the 11th Va. triangular in shape and slipped over a bayonet. Was not able to get a photo and if I took any notes they are lost now.
    Boyd Miles

I dream of a world where a chicken can cross a road without having its motives called into question.

That size makes it suspiciously like a United Confederate Veteran's flag - a post war veteran's organization. That was a common size for chapter and individual flags, particularly of the St. Andrew's type battle flag. Guidons were rare in the CS ranks, not unheard of but rare, and they were used mostly by cavalry and not infantry. A little more common, but still rare were general guide flags or camp colors for infantry regiments, utilized to mark the flanks of a regiment or the edges of camp. These were commonly 12x12 in. to 15x15 in. and like Mr. Miles said slipped over a bayonet, and weren't small battle flags but generally a solid color wool bunting with the regimental number on them. I'd steer away from this one, particularly if called a guidon. Unfortunately I've seen more than a few of these offered as "CS guidons". They may be correctly made and from the 19th century, just late 19th and not what they are purported to be.
    Ross L. Lamoreaux
    Tampa Bay History Center
    www.tampabayhistorycenter.org
    On Facebook at: Tampa Bay History Center Living History Programs

"The simplest things, done well, can carry a huge impact" - Karin Timour, 2012

Notarization says nothing about it being real or the document is telling the truth. A Notarization is just proof that the person who signed the document actually did. A Notary Public can not notarize that anything is original or truthful. You could write a document that states your the king of Englad and if you sign it in front of me with a governemnt picture ID I could notarize it with a signature, stamp and embossed seal.

Also, a CoA is only as good as the company/agency that is standing behind it.
    Last edited by pvt_jb; 11-06-2012 at 10:00 PM.
    Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
    Sally Port Mess
    Historic Fort Wayne Coalition
    Old Northwest Volunteers

"If the men pursue the enemy as vigorously as they do the whores they will make very efficient soldiers."
    Charles B. Haydon, 2nd Michigan-May 6, 1861

"The horse is dead, his bones beat to a fine powder, the powder used to make a fine biscuit, and the biscuit beaten back into a powder."
    John Wickett

Imgur is a really easy web site to use for hosting images.

http://www.imgur.com

Then just post the URL here. It allows for full-size pictures and offloads the bandwidth off of this server.

Steve
    Steve Sheldon

Well, it kinda sounds like I should just stay away from this deal, no need to post a photo for what has been told to me so far, if I want a veterans reunion flag than this is it, but a flag that has seen combat, it ain't.

Thanks for the info guys,

Pvt. Gerald Drake
    24th. NC