Thread: Pyrodex

Default Pyrodex

With the higher cost and limited availability of black powder, people may be tempted to use Pyrodex as a substitute. DON'T DO IT! Pyrodex has a reduced sensitivity to ignition and needs to be compressed to reliably ignite. At a given volume, it also generates more explosive power than black powder. That's a really bad combination for people firing blanks. In the smoke and excitement of the battle line, a man may not notice that his weapon didn't fire. After a couple of unfired rounds, the Pyrodex may well compress enough to ignite, causing bad results for the shooter and perhaps the people around him. Even if the weapon holds together, the recoil may be extreme.
    Last edited by TheQM; 11-02-2012 at 05:58 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Bill Rodman, If you need a really bad example.
    King of Prussia, PA
    wrodman1@aol.com

Take home message: DON'T DO IT!
    Bernard Biederman
    30th OVI
    Co. B

I will add Hodgdon's 777 to that list. Tried a few rounds with it to see how it worked...not too well. Just a faint "bloop".

Works great in 12 gauge loads for my old hammer double, but like Pyrodex it needs compression to perform correctly.

Don't forget that Pyrodex is more corrosive too! Want rust....use Pyrodex!

Oh, by the way, I know a guy who mixed the stuff in with real black powder just to get rid of it (blanks). That worked out OK. He used about 1/3 pyro, 2/3 2ffg.

Harry
    Member 5th Texas Co. A/1st NC Artillery. Disabled Viet Nam veteran, 1970. I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4UcaLHaabY