Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: In Hooker's Rear, April 5-7, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Anders View Post
    Mike,

Correct...I have been tied up with family health issues....there will not be 6 battalions in the Federal side, rather those are the 6 to chose from.

Make sense...give me a couple days to get things updated

Pards,
    No problem, Chris -- please take your time. Family first. Everyone knows it's going to be a great event. I know this will be my priority Chancellorsville event.
    M. A. Schaffner
    Midstream Regressive Complainer

I admire Chris' philosophy and style of event management, but I will NOT attend an event with a stupid name like that. That's an emphatic deal-breaker. Sorry - somebody had to say it. What are we, 7th grade US History?
    Rob Weaver
    Pine River Boys, Co I, 7th Wisconsin
    "We're... Christians, what read the Bible and foller what it says about lovin' your enemies and carin' for them what despitefully use you -- that is, after you've downed 'em good and hard."
    -Si Klegg and His Pard Shorty

Rob, while ordinarily I would tend to agree with you, I happen to know that the event name resulted from a long and careful process involving considerable market research, focus groups, and the votes of a select group of 115 reenactors across the spectrum of authenticity.

As a result of this process, "In Hooker's Rear" just barely beat out the second leading choice, which was "Last Call For Stonewall," which is not to be confused with "Last Call At Stonewall," which is a reenactment of the 1969 riot of the same name, to be hosted by Chris at an undisclosed location some point in the distant future.

While the "Hooker's Rear" sobriquet may seem indicative of a pro-rebel bias, future events promise to even the balance. For Gettysburg, for example, the leading choices are "Up Lee's Wazoo" and "Through Pickett's Wicket."

Similarly, the 2014 version of Sherman's March will be called "The South Shall Cry Again," and for Hood's foray into Tennessee, covering the battles of Franklin and Nashville, we have a working title of "Faux Pas of the Lost Cause."

Finally, while it is way too early to state anything definite for Sailor's Creek and Appomattox, I have it on the best authority that any likely title will involve some combination of a preposition and the term "Chicken Fried Corn-Fed Surrender Monkeys."

I sincerely hope this addresses your concerns.
    M. A. Schaffner
    Midstream Regressive Complainer

I certainly hope there wont be any camping, digging, shooting or fire in, on or around the original trenches and gun-emplacements. That would obviously be a determent to the site from both a preservation, interpretation and archaeological perspective and being enthusiasts of the period I know no-one would want to endanger the site. Im more than concerned. Can someone please clarify the location of the reenactment?
    Drew Gruber
    3rd Regiment USV- Buffington's Boys
    Atlantic Guard Soldiers Aid Society
    Backus's Bodacious Battery- PNB Artillery Crew

"...mow hay, cut wood, prepare great food, drink schwitzel, knit, sew, spin wool, rock out to a good pinch of snuff and somehow still find time to go fly a kite." N.B.
    Now thats living history.

Drew, have you ever reenacted at Bentonville?
    RJ Samp
    Horniste! Blas das Signal zum Angriffe!
    "But in the end, it's the history, stupid. If you can't document it, forget about it. And no amount of 'tomfoolery' can explain away conduct that in the end makes history (and living historians) look stupid and wrong. "

RJ,
    I've never participated but I've watched movies and seen pictures of the Bentonville. If I understand Bentonville correctly the trenches are dug on State property- meaning its already preserved ground which has been vetted by an archaeologist to make sure the digging wont disturb original resources be them earthwork or artifacts.

The point I am trying to make here is that I'd love to attend events next to or on original ground. Psch who wouldnt. But if they are going to be in or around property which has or was known to have had action or significant historical events on them we, the community who cares and loves for the Civil War need to take a step in the direction and be cognizant of our actions on those grounds. Building near or improving original works as has been done on private property is perfectly legal however we severely jeopardize the integrity of that site to be attractive to preservation groups like the Trust or the park services, if we augment the landscape. Minimally invasive things like fires and mock battles are not a huge problem. But digging earthworks, working or playing on originals even on privately owned battlefield property is a paradox. I am not trying to freak out or be irrational or point fingers at Chris who is very aware of these things. But we need to make sure that we are respecting original ground and are perpetuating the PR that the reenactment community is aware of the always outgunned preservation movement and that we are able to be a viable and well respected steward of such landscapes. Just a thought. Yes I take the hobby seriously because we as a community have a chance to show citizens through interpretation or politicians by way of our numbers that we take historic preservation of these battlefields seriously.
    Drew Gruber

"...mow hay, cut wood, prepare great food, drink schwitzel, knit, sew, spin wool, rock out to a good pinch of snuff and somehow still find time to go fly a kite." N.B.

[QUOTE=Pvt Schnapps;211456]Rob, while ordinarily I would tend to agree with you, I happen to know that the event name resulted from a long and careful process involving considerable market research, focus groups, and the votes of a select group of 115 reenactors across the spectrum of authenticity.
    LMFAO!!!!!!!! Schnapps, your ability with the pen is exceeded only by your ability to turn the other cheek cheekily. I'm still not goin', but you prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that this is NOT 7th grade.
    Rob Weaver
    Pine River Boys, Co I, 7th Wisconsin
    "We're... Christians, what read the Bible and foller what it says about lovin' your enemies and carin' for them what despitefully use you -- that is, after you've downed 'em good and hard."
    -Si Klegg and His Pard Shorty

All,

Here is some additional information.

The "Official" event name is " Chancellorsville, 1863, In Hooker's Rear"

Yes it was tested on many folks, whose first reply often was- " Where do I get the T Shirt?"

The event is being hosted by the Memorial Foundation of the Germanna Colonies- www.germanna.org

There is your location!

As to original entrenchments and emplacements, there will be controllers with each manuever element to be sure no one, no one digs or messes with them.

More info in a bit!

Pards,
    S. Chris Anders
    Southern Division
    www.southerndivision.org
    www.rearrank.com
    www.marylandmymaryland.org

There is nothing more difficult to take in hand, more perilous to conduct, or more uncertain in its success, than to take the lead in the introduction of a new order of things. - Niccoló Machiavelli, The Prince. 1537.

It is on the Germanna Ford....if that helps
    S. Chris Anders
    Southern Division
    www.southerndivision.org
    www.rearrank.com
    www.marylandmymaryland.org

There is nothing more difficult to take in hand, more perilous to conduct, or more uncertain in its success, than to take the lead in the introduction of a new order of things. - Niccoló Machiavelli, The Prince. 1537.

Chris,
    Thanks for the info! Awesome. I knew you wouldn't disappoint. For those of you who haven't visited Germanna or the Germanna Foundation its an incredible slice of history from the German settlement under Spotswood in 1714 and 1717 till 1864 theres tons going on. If I understand it correctly its very close to where the Wilderness Walmart ended up finally being moved too. Cheers to Chris!
    Drew
    Drew Gruber