Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Remembrance Day 2012...

Default Remembrance Day

Julio, Battery B 1st RI artillery will be in the cemetary to remember our fallen comrades, and then will will move out to our monument across from the group of trees at the center of the line. By the way thanks for asking:

There is always the Fife & Drum Jam session that takes place after the parade. Thats where I will be

Although I will concede that the "Fife & Drum Jam Session" at O'Rorke's after the parade can be a lot of fun, and I enjoy being there for a brief while, it is not exactly one of the acts of "remembrance" that I seek to photograph for the newspaper. After all, it's *Remembrance Day,* not "Fife & Drum Jam Session Day."
    Just one man's opinion.
    Julio
    Julio C. Zangroniz, Independent Photojournalist
    www.zphotos.smugmug.com
    Jzangroniz@comcast.net

There is a ceremony at the Gettysburg National Cemetery on Saturday (Nov 17th) morning at 7:30am. Several reenactor groups and units participate. It is a very moving ceremony, especially in the early morning hours before all the commotion of the parade and other events start. It is my favorite part of the day.
    Sgt Mackay

Pvt. Mackay,
    There are MANY ceremonies taking place at the National Cemetery on Saturday morning.
    For instance, in past years, I have attended and photographed the ceremonies of Vincent's Brigade, the Mifflin Guard, the 28th Pennsylvania, those with the Federal City Brass Band, an Ohio artillery unit, the civilians at Greenwood Cemetery, and many, many others.
    Which one are you referring to scheduled for this year?
    The reason I posted the original question is that I simply cannot be at more than one place at one time. In the old, old days, I had a very good pair of legs, but they seem to have atrophied over the years. So nowadays, I *have* to plan things out in more detail, in advance. Therefore, any information you can provide (specific units involved, who the commanders are, what monuments they will be at, specific times of day, etc.) will be most helpful.
    Thank you in advance.
    Julio
    www.zphotos.smugmug.com
    Jzangroniz@comcast.net

The 44th Georgia, Company C will be conducting a brief ceremony after the parade. A time has not yet been confirmed by our Captain, however, I will attempt to post it here as our itinerary becomes evident.

We hold the ceremony annually as dusk approaches along Howard Avenue, site of the fierce 1st Day fighting participated in by our "true personalities".

Corporal James Marshall
    44th Georgia, Co. C
    "Johnson Guard"
    Pvt. Jim Marshall
    44th Georgia, Company C

Quote Originally Posted by Julio C. Zangroniz View Post
    Pvt. Mackay,
    There are MANY ceremonies taking place at the National Cemetery on Saturday morning.
    For instance, in past years, I have attended and photographed the ceremonies of Vincent's Brigade, the Mifflin Guard, the 28th Pennsylvania, those with the Federal City Brass Band, an Ohio artillery unit, the civilians at Greenwood Cemetery, and many, many others.
    Which one are you referring to scheduled for this year?
    The reason I posted the original question is that I simply cannot be at more than one place at one time. In the old, old days, I had a very good pair of legs, but they seem to have atrophied over the years. So nowadays, I *have* to plan things out in more detail, in advance. Therefore, any information you can provide (specific units involved, who the commanders are, what monuments they will be at, specific times of day, etc.) will be most helpful.
    Thank you in advance.
    Julio
    We step off at 7:30, with a ceremony scheduled in the Pennsylvania burial area at 8:00.
    Sgt Mackay

Well, not "fresh fish" but sorry to hear the scarcity of replies. I will be with the 7th NJ Co "D" at the monument at the National Cemetery at 5:30 with a few others. I'll be with an honor guard dressed as 114th PA.

Regards,
    Jeff Rodriguez

Julio -

The Liberty Rifles' Saturday morning program will be following the movements of the 157th NY at 8:30 A.M. Info is here: http://www.libertyrifles.org/schedule/2012/157thny.html

In addition, a number of us will be participating in the parade pulling a period hose cart, representing the South Ward Hose Co. of the Gettysburg Fire Department which, historically, was in the procession to the Soldiers' National Cemetery with the President.

See you there!
    -MH
    Marc A. Hermann.
    The Daybreak B'hoys.
    Liberty Rifles - Hardtack Society.
    Oliver Tilden Camp No. 26, SUVCW.

Descendant of Pvt. E. Hermann, 45th PA Militia - Capt. Wm. K. and Lt. Geo. W. Hopkins, 7th PA Reserves - Pvt. Jos. A. Weckerly, 72nd PA Infantry - Pvt. Thos. Will, 21st PA Cavalry.

Default Remembrance Day...

Mark,
    Thanks for the info. I assure you that it is MOST useful.
    On the basis of the logistics of the day that I have received thus far, I have decided to join the Liberty Rifles for their march at 8:30 AM on Saturday.
    My intention is to stay with the group as long as possible, until I have to head over to the parade assembly point to do the portraits that the Civil War News seems to prefer to publish, but that's probably when all of you yourselves will have to get there if you are participating in the parade.
    At that point, I would dearly love to do a portrait of the entire group, particularly if you have with you any of the fire-fighting apparatus that could be included in the image.
    As usual, I will be in the period dress of a news correspondent, so I can "blend in" with the other marchers and still be able to carry out the duties of a modern-day news correspondent. I assure you that my cameras will be covered by period haversacks as much as possible.
    Right now, I'm working on a feature story about another group --who are civilians-- but I can see the "firemen" becoming a nice sidebar --if not the MAIN story-- for the weekend, so please let me know the answers to the questions I have asked.
    Is there a cell phone I might be able to reach you on Friday and/or Saturday, should the need arise? Right now, I don't have one myself, though I don't think it would be that difficult for me to find someone who would let me use his/hers.
    Thanks in advance.
    Julio
    www.zphotos.smugmug.com
    Jzangroniz@comcast.net