Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Remembrance Day 2012...

You know, Julio, you cannot post anything from Rem Day until you post photos from Perryville. We're only going on six weeks since the event. To date, nothing has been published. I remember seeing you in the thick of the action. You had to have some shots worth publishing, yet the west continues to be denied the love shown to the east. That quasi-easterner Watters did a great job running the show on the gray side. Still, no love shown.

Speaking of love, how'd that bottle of champagne work for you?
    - Silas Tackitt

"I consider him a humbug, a man of small capacity, very obstinate, not at all chivalrous, exceedingly conceited, and totally selfish." - - Lafayette McLaws about James Longstreet.

Esteemed Mr. Silas,
    My heartfelt apologies for not posting any images from Perryville as of yet.
    Rest assured that there will BE many, many, posted as soon as possible.
    Although I had some technical troubles at Perryville with one of my cameras, which caused a lot of the images it captured to be of rather poor quality (woefully underexposed), I have been --feverishly-- trying to learn to use a particular software that may --just MAY-- enable me to render a lot of those very images suitable for publication in a public forum.
    At least, you can rest assured that I was able to secure a suitable selection of Perryville images worthy of consideration by the editors of the Civil War News (I did, after all had three other cameras with me). We should see what results are produced when the December issue starts to circulate, sometime around November 25.
    I must confess --mea culpa, mea maxima culpa-- that I have not mastered the software program that should enable me to "rescue" a lot more of the Perryville images, so I can "publish" them, BUT, I assure you, here in this public forum and in front of the whole world, that well before I publish anything from Remembrance Day, I will have a suitable number of Perryville images online.
    Are you happy --or happier-- now, Counselor?
    And allow me to express my personal and professional thanks to you and everyone else I met during the weekend for the wonderful hospitality I received in the Confederate camp!
    Julio
    Julio C. Zangroniz, Independent Photojournalist
    www.zphotos.smugmug.com
    Jzangroniz@comcast.net

Julio,
    Looks like you made it to the O'Rourkes Jam Session after all. Heck even Rob Hodge was there. Hope you got some good pics as there were plenty of fine things going on. You guys who did the Gettysburg Fire Dept were excellent by the way!
    Sgt Coleman
    138th PVI
    Federal Volunteer Brigade

Sgt. Coleman,
    Remembrance Day, as usual, proved to be quite a mixed bag.
    I'm forever amazed at the fact that hundreds --and hundreds-- of people recognize me throughout the weekend. For I'm nothing more than a humble image catcher.
    Yes, I was at O'Rorke's for the Friday evening performance of the 6th New Hampshire Contra Band. I'm not gay --not that there's anything wrong with that-- but I really LOVE THOSE GUYS! And I certainly love their music. Though I was able to witness only their very last "set," it made for incredibly enjoyable moments. For instance, I met a wonderful couple (female wife, male husband) from Texas --Barbie (Doll) and husband Roberto. I also met many, many others --including a rather impish photographer who got ME in her viewfinder. The resulting image is already making the rounds in the Internet. Woe is me!
    But on Friday night, I lost my keys... including the one for my vehicle. I was *instantly* marooned. I suspect theft, since I have an entire haversack missing. My old cell phone --which didn't even work any more-- was also in it. As well as one pair of period gloves, a few pencils, one small penknife, who knows what else... At least a very valuable camera I had been carrying in that bag happened to be... in my hands when the bag disappeared.
    It was but a minor annoyance, but it truly limited my range over the rest of the weekend, because I could not move my vehicle at all, and that meant I had to depend on the charity of friends to get from Point A to Point B throughout the rest of the event.
    Finally, the AAA rescue truck came and towed me 77 miles home. The driver dropped me off at a small park next door to my house, because my driveway proved to be was too sharp a turn. My car battery is dead, so I must wait for a neighbor to show up around 3-4 PM and, hopefully, give me a boost.
    Regardless of all that, I'm truly glad I was able to attend the Remembrance Day festivities.
    But I must keep on goading myself into concentrating on the POSITIVE aspects of the weekend.
    The photography will be stunning, I assure you.
    Unfortunately, I have to post the ones from Perryville (Kentucky) first, or I will have at least one very angry lawyer on my trail.
    Thanks my fellow reenactors, for your unending cooperation!
    You are, without a doubt, THE BEST!!!
    Julio
    www.zphotos.smugmug.com
    Jzangroniz@comcast.net

Default Thanks for the Dance

Julio,

Sorry for all the trouble you had.

I hope the dance with Annette on Saturday evening at the National Civil War Ball helped to soothe your troubles.

Yes, my old friend, I will be posting the photos of you dancing on our website in the next few days so that all of your fans can see you in a different context. Annete enjoyed the dance, which (suprisingly) you did quite well, and reproted that you did not step on anyone's feet.

Larry Keener-Farley
    Victorian Dance Ensemble
    www.CivilWarDance.org

Julio, you have no obligation to anyone on this forum. Anything you post is a bonus. I was just showing my loyalty to my commander for the event, Rich Watters, who performed his first ever, big time command. I think he did a great job at Perryville. Further, the western guys don't get many opportunities to be in your view finder.

As for your adventure at Gettysburg, the highlight is that afterwards, you have an interesting story to tell. During, it probably wasn't so swell.
    - Silas Tackitt

"I consider him a humbug, a man of small capacity, very obstinate, not at all chivalrous, exceedingly conceited, and totally selfish." - - Lafayette McLaws about James Longstreet.

Very true, on all counts, Silas.
    I do consider it a matter of honor to post photos about Perryville, for the very reasons that you mention.
    Probably should have done so a long while ago, but I was hoping that, after learning a certain number of computer clicks, I would have a lot more to post.
    But I will "rush" into publication what I can post, for I, too, feel indebted to **** Watters for all he accomplished at the program. I forwarded about 20+ images with full cutlines to the Civil War News and urged the editors to give the display as much play as possible, for all those reasons. We should see in the next week or so whether my arguments --and more importantly, my photography from the event-- attracted their attention.
    Again, my thanks to you for the hospitality you showed me in Kentucky. For me, it was a blast of an event!
    Julio
    www.zphotos.smugmug.com
    Jzangroniz@comcast.net

Quote Originally Posted by Julio C. Zangroniz View Post
    ... I forwarded about 20+ images with full cutlines to the Civil War News and urged the editors to give the display as much play as possible ...
    Received my copy of the CWN other day and you have a full two page 18 photo center spread on Perryville. And a half page on the Battle of Unison 150th as well as a smattering of Cedar Creek 148th pics. Very well done, and very nice photos. If I didn't know better, I would swear you were the CWN Staff Photographer! Congratulations!
    Sgt Mackay

Thanks for the news, Pvt. Mackay!
    I haven't received my copy of the newspaper yet, but that certainly sounds like great news.
    Can't wait to see that December issue!
    Why don't more people subscribe to the newspaper? Can't be the price... it's cheap... for such a classy product.
    Of course, I'm HIGHLY biased!
    Again, my thanks to you for extending me the courtesy.
    Julio
    www.zphotos.smugmug.com
    Jzangroniz@comcast.net