Thread: 140th New York Infantry Regiment

renigade29 Guest

Default 140th New York Infantry Regiment

just found out today that i am related to pct. John A. Clow 140th New York Infantry Regiment, i have his gun, bayonet, and belt buckle (all original to him and all in working order) i an trying to do a mantle with this above it, i am looking to see what was on (if anything) there kepi's and anything more that that would make a good mantle piece

thank you for all your help!

Danny

Danny -

I'm not aware of any unique uniform issue to the 140th prior to their 1863 transformation into zouaves, so you would do well to obtain a forage cap which, for the majority of their service would have been adorned with a white maltese cross (indicating 2nd Division, V Corps.) A brass company letter may go with it. These are safe bets; anything else may be pushing it, without specific documentation. Of course, a red fez might be good to represent their later appearance.

Either way, do yourself (and your ancestor) a favor and get higher-end pieces of equipment to fill out the display -- in other words, yes, pay a little more for better quality (and greater fidelity to the original.) It's cringeworthy to see originals with a solid provenance displayed alongside a fuzzy purple wool-blend cap. Check the classified sections here and at the Authentic Campaigner from time to time: http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/...anting-to-Sell
    Marc A. Hermann.
    The Daybreak B'hoys.
    Liberty Rifles - Hardtack Society.
    Oliver Tilden Camp No. 26, SUVCW - Co. I, 83rd NYV, SVR.

Descendant of Pvt. E. Hermann, 45th PA Militia - Capt. Wm. K. and Lt. Geo. W. Hopkins, 7th PA Reserves - Pvt. Jos. A. Weckerly, 72nd PA Infantry - Pvt. Thos. Will, 21st PA Cavalry.

renigade29 Guest

what would they be using during Gettysburg? where would the cross go? bugle or no bugle? and of corse i would spring for the best quality i could find cap

Corps badges were not introduced into the Army of the Potomac until some time after Joe Hooker replaced Ambrose Burnside as commander on January 26, 1863. Depending upon when in 1863 the 140th became a zouave unit, that may have some bearing upon their appropriateness.
    Bernard Biederman
    30th OVI
    Co. B

The 140th mustered in in September, 1862 and other than Fredericksburg, didn't see action until Chancellorsville, and was assigned to the V Corps the entire time. Thus the regiment spent more of its career (and, certainly, saw combat more often) with corps badges than without, which is why I suggested it. This gentleman's ancestor was present for the regiment's entire term of service, so he has options.
    Marc A. Hermann.
    The Daybreak B'hoys.
    Liberty Rifles - Hardtack Society.
    Oliver Tilden Camp No. 26, SUVCW - Co. I, 83rd NYV, SVR.

Descendant of Pvt. E. Hermann, 45th PA Militia - Capt. Wm. K. and Lt. Geo. W. Hopkins, 7th PA Reserves - Pvt. Jos. A. Weckerly, 72nd PA Infantry - Pvt. Thos. Will, 21st PA Cavalry.

renigade29 Guest

would the top of a kepi look like

(infantry horn)
    k

or what? (going for most bad ass and most revealing about the person whilst still looking as authentic as possible)

also after about $300 in restorations (using all original parts except for a new nipple) and a successful blank test fire, I, as a fellow past solder, will connect history this sunday and fire the gun with a projectile, i dont give a crap about value of gun, its a family treasure and will not be ever parted with, and have had it checked out by 3 TOP gunsmiths (one shot blackpowder for 23 years in competition) yea i think 3 might have been a tad overkill but hey, i dont want to die here!

will post a video if you want on monday

I encourage you to browse through the photographs in "The Sons of Old Monroe, A Regimental History of Patrick O'Rorke's 140th NY Volunteer Infntry". The 140th was issued forage caps. I don't notice any hat brass, but if you want it for your display regimental designation and Company letter.

From the NYS Adjutant General's Report:

CLOW, JOHN N. - Age, 21 years. Enlisted, August 29, 1862, at Penfield, to serve three years; mustered in as private, Co. D, September 13, 1862; mustered out with company, June 3, 1865, near Alexandria, Va.

Hope that helps,

Tim Bills
    Mil. Coor.
    140th NYVI
    http://www.140thny.org

renigade29 Guest

bill, thanks for the reply, i will look into forage cap, any suggestions? and ancestery.com pointed me to http://www.nps.gov/civilwar/search-s...6-b8ac6f5d926a that is the name that my grandmother gave me, so the report might be wrong (i have seen that too) maybe messy hand writing? i don't know

how would you suggest i display it to be closest to the original?

It is possible. The muster rolls match the Adjutant's report. If you email me directly at tbills@frontiernet.net, I'll see what I can find out for you.