Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: BGA or GAC

Rancho San Rafael, Republic of the Pacific

Well said Mr. Schaffner.
    Andrew Grim
    Monte Mounted Rifles, Monte Boys
    Mess of Myself
    Occasional 7%er

"Los Angeles at the close of the Rebellion was the most vindictive, uncompromising community in the United States" Horace Bell

The BGA Gettysburg is a grass roots effort to provide the reenactor with the best possible 150th experience possible. The BGA is not an entity within itself, but is made up of some of the very best organizations in existence. Some units, not part of the BGA, are choosing to support the event and we welcome them and others that may attend. The event is being planned with the needs of the reenactor in mind and with focus on historically accurate scenarios that will provide the very best experience that is within our means. From confederate and federal infantry coming in off the march, along with cavalry to start the event, Heth, Buford and Reynolds and other units piece mealed into the battle. Culps Hill at night, and on terrain that is very similar to that of the original battlefield. The Peach Orchard, Wheatfield and Little Round Top, all by reenactors whose historical units they portray having actually fought in those battles. Authentic civilians in an organized Gettysburg town setting will enhance the event setting.

Commanders that will hold each other to the scenarios while keeping in mind the importance of doing so themselves. The brigades actually penetrating the federal lines for a few brief minutes only to be swallowed up by the defenders, Stuart's attempt to break through the Union rear, troops sleeping on arms, waiting for that next day's battle.

There will be large numbers at the BGA event, but that isn't the only important aspect, accuracy and authenticity will make the difference in a mob and a fair representation of a Civil War battle.

Taking care of the reenactors and their families. Adhering to event and safety guidelines, all of which will be enforced. Providing spectators with a great event that they can afford to bring their families too and buy fairly priced water and food. A fair registration fee that will not increase.

In reflecting on the thoughts above and without hesitation, I can tell everyone that this event is being planned and will be executed with all sincerity concerning safety and historical accuracy. From the entire spectrum of reenacting, campaigner, progressive and mainstreamer, from across the country and as many as 20 foreign countries, are working together to make this event successful. That sounds like unification and not division to me.

I canít speak for other events, but I can speak for this one and that is why Iím going to the BGA 150th Gettysburg,.
    Thanks,

Terry Shelton
    1st Regiment Kentucky Volunteers, Co E CSA
    1stky.org

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Dave View Post

The hobby, collectively, should be embarrassed that we cannot put the differences aside, suck it up and be in that lousy commander's battalion, brigade/Division long enough to experience 25,000 or more at the 150th granddaddy of them all. You can't thump your chest and brag about how you are honoring your ancestors when your very actions reduce a mega-event down to a big event. Your ancestors fought in a mega-battle, not just a big one, at Gettysburg.
    Someone needs to explain to me why I should "suck it up" and attend an event that refused to change some of the ways it does business in order to make the event more reenactor and spectator friendly (which was, by the way, the reason the BGA decided to do its own Gettysburg event in the first place), and be willing to fall in under a "lousy commander's battalion, brigade/Division" when I can go to a better event and fall in under a good commander's battalion, brigade/Division.

Along with that, can someone also explain to me why it's only disloyal to the hobby to not attend the GAC event, but it is not disloyal to the hobby to not attend the BGA event? Would not the goal of seeing those many thousands of reenactors on the field also be achieved if everyone came to the BGA event, making it the mega-event 150th granddaddy of them all, especially since it appears that it may be the better attended event anyway? Does the GAC event hold some sacred priority or trust of which I am not aware?

If attending the BGA Gettysburg instead of the GAC Gettysburg makes me an infidel within the hobby, then so be it. I reenact to enjoy it, not to "suck it up" for some "lousy commander" to get his jollies. In my hobby, it makes more sense if those "lousy commanders" come to a better event as privates instead of insisting that we all attend a lesser event under their command. But then, I doubt those folks will be willing to put their "differences aside for this once in a lifetime opportunity", as it appears I am being told I should do.

That just kinda reinforces why I'm going to the BGA event.
    Bernard Biederman
    30th OVI
    Co. B

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Dave View Post
    This thread is documenting the dividing of the hobby. And for what...that group doesn't do it right, that guy is only interested in making money, that group is more authentic, that group is less authentic, the ground is better, the spectator stands are such an annoyance, that commander is stupid, that commander is smart, etc. etc.

What everyone is reading on this thread is the self-serving power struggle between an established reenactment organization that has hosted a Gettysburg for the last 5 plus years and an organization whose bylaws prevent them from attending if they are not in command. The support of the BGA of an event is given only if they are in command of the forces...it has nothing to do with any aspect of history, authenticity, safety etc.
    So instead of huge armies at the long awaited 150 Gettysburg, the hobby is allowing personal agendas, rumor mongering and big fish in little ponds to diminish the attendance at either event. The hobby, collectively, should be embarrassed that we cannot put the differences aside, suck it up and be in that lousy commander's battalion, brigade/Division long enough to experience 25,000 or more at the 150th granddaddy of them all. You can't thump your chest and brag about how you are honoring your ancestors when your very actions reduce a mega-event down to a big event. Your ancestors fought in a mega-battle, not just a big one, at Gettysburg.
    With all of the pitfalls of the GAC event, they took the risk to put on an event for the last five years. No one minded all the terrible aspects then. If you think the BGA event won't have problems,you are wrong. The forum is full of complaints about a seven minute battle at the last BGA event.
    It may be too late to stop this downward spiral that will result in two events That will be up to you, the self-proclaimed Civil War enthusiasts, experts, authentic stitch counters, historians and everyone in between to put your differences aside for this once in a lifetime opportunity. I guarantee there will be problems, stupid people, broken scenarios and enough dumb things to talk about for years............at both events. Let's combine them so we can all see them.

Perryville Kentucky 150th---------------50,000.00 towards that worthy cause, with only 2000 reenactors. We know GAC is for profit. Been there done that, 145th GAC-Gettysburg. Does BGA have the same business model in mind as Perryville or is this but a power struggle over money? Standards are one thing, money has a way of deeming one's eyes to the reality and nature of things. This Hobby is not about History as times, but as another poster said Corn and Coin. Different Stage, same out-come for the average reenactor? I see little difference having attended Events put on by the BGA here in the West. Diesel Fuel was over 4 dollars a gallon for the 145th-GAC. Driving from Kentucky with a Cannon and the gunpowder it took to play, I won't be making the trip. It wasn't worth the cost for me. Which ever Event Folks decide to go to have a good time, I'm still wearing the T-shirt from the past.

Always
    Doug Thomas
    Lyons Kentucky CS
    Shepherdsville
    Last edited by captdougofky; 11-01-2012 at 07:26 AM.
    Holding on the High ground

BGA without a second thought.
    Bill Feuchtenberger
    Co. H
    1st South Carolina Volunteers

BGA for dozens of good reasons... Most notably, non-profit and non-circus.

PLUS, if it irks "Colonel Dave" for me to be elsewhere, that just makes it all the sweeter.
    Your Obedient Servant,

Peter M. Berezuk

Proud Member of...
    69th NYSV Historical Association - USMC Historical Company - Washington Guard

Builder and Maintainer of the Ray Prosteen Memorial Event Calendar

Default Bga ftw

Been to a couple BGA events and although they had hiccups, which all events will, my first gburg reenactment will be with BGA.

Default My take

All,
    First, the GAC is not a reenacting organization, but a corporate one with the goal of having an event simply to attract $$$ to Adams County.
    Second, they have put it on for years and have had diminishing attendance each year.

I think that the big divide in the hobby is actually between those who have an ax to grind with certain folks in the BGA, and the rest of the hobby who does not. I prefer to be with the majority.

Taking a look at the available numbers of hobbyists these days, it is near impossible to expect anything greater than 10,000 (civilians included). Looking at those Federal Infantry umbrella organizations who are still committed to GAC, and knowing their actual numbers on the field, I would make a liberal guess that GAC will have about 1,000 Federal Infantry.

If you take the USV, Mifflin Guard, Campaigner Brigade, Army of the Ohio, and several other Federal umbrella organizations who have committed to the BGA event- it is clear which event will be the "bigger" one by far. The USV will have 1,000 infantrymen all by itself.

The folks of GAC can have their event and not be missed by the rest of the hobby.

Scot Buffington
    total turbofarb

Default Interesting discussion

Quote Originally Posted by reddiamond View Post
    All,

I think that the big divide in the hobby is actually between those who have an ax to grind with certain folks in the BGA, and the rest of the hobby who does not.

Scot Buffington
    total turbofarb
    I have no dog in this fight and fall into the Misters Tackett and Barry camp. I would prefer a squirt gun fight in my backyard to either and I have stayed out of this "one three letter acronym vs. another" battle.

Having said that, you could replace "BGA" with "GAC" in the above statement and for some people that statement would still work.

YMMV.
    Last edited by wheres_my_horse; 11-01-2012 at 01:59 PM. Reason: Because I messed up my analogy. But I have no dog in this race either...
    Mike Schramm

BGA... The GAC events are HORRENDOUS

Pete Griebel