Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: BGA or GAC

Ms Lawson called it right, it was indeed a punchlist.I was at the Township meeting and can attest to this information. All that detail will only mean a very good event.

I am very glad to see so many coming to this event and it really is an event we want all of you to claim as yours.

More info will follow, just be confident in the event's success, we are doing everthing we can to have a 15oth event that we all will remember.

The 1st Kentucky, Longstreet's Corps are going to the BGA and we appreciate all of you that coming as well.

Terry Shelton
    Deputy event commander
    Thanks,

Terry Shelton
    1st Regiment Kentucky Volunteers, Co E CSA
    1stky.org

The Mifflin Guard will be at the BGA event.

Andy Siganuk

If you care more about some minimally enforced authenticity standards then go to BGA. If you don't care a bit about it, please go to GAC.

Jim Butler

I will say, as of a few months ago, I had planned to sit out Gettysburg. Seen it, done it, and did not care to do it again. However, with certain groups I admire joining BGA Gettysburg, I decided to register, even it that meant not going with my local Battalion. Still does not mean I will go, but I at least respect what the BGA is attempting to do.

S.D.Swart

Default To **** with GAC !

I and my fellow reenactors in my group will be going to BGA , to h*ll with Greedysburg!

Gerald Drake

Yes it is.

Yea Verily...BGA...

Phil Oliver

Coming with the Medich battalion to BGA
    John E Rys
    5th Texas Co A - NE Ohio
    Medich Battalion
    1ST NC Lt Arty - Reilly's Battery
    Ohio Living History Society

This thread is documenting the dividing of the hobby. And for what...that group doesn't do it right, that guy is only interested in making money, that group is more authentic, that group is less authentic, the ground is better, the spectator stands are such an annoyance, that commander is stupid, that commander is smart, etc. etc.

What everyone is reading on this thread is the self-serving power struggle between an established reenactment organization that has hosted a Gettysburg for the last 5 plus years and an organization whose bylaws prevent them from attending if they are not in command. The support of the BGA of an event is given only if they are in command of the forces...it has nothing to do with any aspect of history, authenticity, safety etc.
    So instead of huge armies at the long awaited 150 Gettysburg, the hobby is allowing personal agendas, rumor mongering and big fish in little ponds to diminish the attendance at either event. The hobby, collectively, should be embarrassed that we cannot put the differences aside, suck it up and be in that lousy commander's battalion, brigade/Division long enough to experience 25,000 or more at the 150th granddaddy of them all. You can't thump your chest and brag about how you are honoring your ancestors when your very actions reduce a mega-event down to a big event. Your ancestors fought in a mega-battle, not just a big one, at Gettysburg.
    With all of the pitfalls of the GAC event, they took the risk to put on an event for the last five years. No one minded all the terrible aspects then. If you think the BGA event won't have problems,you are wrong. The forum is full of complaints about a seven minute battle at the last BGA event.
    It may be too late to stop this downward spiral that will result in two events That will be up to you, the self-proclaimed Civil War enthusiasts, experts, authentic stitch counters, historians and everyone in between to put your differences aside for this once in a lifetime opportunity. I guarantee there will be problems, stupid people, broken scenarios and enough dumb things to talk about for years............at both events. Let's combine them so we can all see them.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Dave View Post
    This thread is documenting the dividing of the hobby. And for what...that group doesn't do it right, that guy is only interested in making money, that group is more authentic, that group is less authentic, the ground is better, the spectator stands are such an annoyance, that commander is stupid, that commander is smart, etc. etc.

What everyone is reading on this thread is the self-serving power struggle between an established reenactment organization that has hosted a Gettysburg for the last 5 plus years and an organization whose bylaws prevent them from attending if they are not in command. The support of the BGA of an event is given only if they are in command of the forces...it has nothing to do with any aspect of history, authenticity, safety etc.
    So instead of huge armies at the long awaited 150 Gettysburg, the hobby is allowing personal agendas, rumor mongering and big fish in little ponds to diminish the attendance at either event. The hobby, collectively, should be embarrassed that we cannot put the differences aside, suck it up and be in that lousy commander's battalion, brigade/Division long enough to experience 25,000 or more at the 150th granddaddy of them all. You can't thump your chest and brag about how you are honoring your ancestors when your very actions reduce a mega-event down to a big event. Your ancestors fought in a mega-battle, not just a big one, at Gettysburg.
    With all of the pitfalls of the GAC event, they took the risk to put on an event for the last five years. No one minded all the terrible aspects then. If you think the BGA event won't have problems,you are wrong. The forum is full of complaints about a seven minute battle at the last BGA event.
    It may be too late to stop this downward spiral that will result in two events That will be up to you, the self-proclaimed Civil War enthusiasts, experts, authentic stitch counters, historians and everyone in between to put your differences aside for this once in a lifetime opportunity. I guarantee there will be problems, stupid people, broken scenarios and enough dumb things to talk about for years............at both events. Let's combine them so we can all see them.
    Based on my experience of the 150th Shiloh and the 150th Antietam(s) I call BS on this argument. Those of us who prefer a little more history than simple playtime at our events know that BGA Shiloh supported a major campaigner adjunct while GAC Antietam had squat. So, yes, authenticity is an argument in favor of BGA.

Further, there is absolutely no evidence that we could have 25,000 reenactors at an event or that GAC could deliver them. From the evidence of my eyes I know that the Anders' Antietam event had more people actually on the field than the GAC Antietam. Why? Because it was more hardcore? No -- because it was more inclusive of both wings of the hobby and actually offered those who care a little about history some scenarios that wouldn't embarass them.

You want to unite the hobby? Then throw in with BGA. It may not be perfect, but it has significantly less probability of being embarassing. If you think "no one minded" GAC's pratfalls the last five or ten years then you're ignoring why BGA is an alternative to begin with.

One of the events is about reenactors and history. The other is about kettle corn and coin. I know which one I care more about. Do you?
    M. A. Schaffner
    Midstream Regressive Complainer