Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cedar Creek this past weekend

I was a Cav Trooper at Cedar Creek, really enjoyed the entire weekend and thought it went well. I interacted with the public before and after the battles and took away nothing but positive vibes. From the spectator's perspective, I don't think a reenactment is the place where you need to count stitches or compare us to paintings and drawings of the period. The totality of the battles are representations not to be scrutinized at such a detailed level but viewed from a distance. Don't get me wrong, I am a stickler for authenticity and have spent a small fortune to prove it. I tip my hat to ladies, salute non-Cav officers and make every effort to act like it's the mid nineteenth century. I can't impact everyone's behavior or appearance but in my camp, I make sure my Battalion is aware if something isn't right, wasn't done, or didn't exist. I hope there's a seed like me in every camp and maybe we can improve from the ground up.

On an unrelated note, I've only been in this 6 years. Why is there so much polarization between the Blue and Gray camps. Just because I'm shooting at them and swinging a sabre at them doesn't mean I don't like or respect them. I make an effort to say hi to a Yank who rides through our camp but when go over the Blue camps I feel like I might have to cut dirt and run.
    "Poverty is no disgrace, but it's a damnable inconvenience." --Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by DanP View Post
    On an unrelated note, I've only been in this 6 years. Why is there so much polarization between the Blue and Gray camps. Just because I'm shooting at them and swinging a sabre at them doesn't mean I don't like or respect them. I make an effort to say hi to a Yank who rides through our camp but when go over the Blue camps I feel like I might have to cut dirt and run.
    Sorry to hear that anyone let you come away with that perspective. Next year please stop by and say hi, and grab a cup of Joe, sit down with us Blue Bellies in the 97th PVI for a spell and I'm sure you will make a few new friends.
    Sgt Mackay

Us FVB boys are just more friendly I suppose

Actually the Rebds at Antietam didn't appreciate me comming by to listen to their music one night even though they were like 15 feet from tent. They tolerated me though and were curtious.

Seriously though, I would imagine it's a more a mistrust of someone you don't know in or near your camp as apposed to what uniform you're wearing.
    Sgt Coleman
    138th PVI
    Federal Volunteer Brigade

Quote Originally Posted by CheeseBoxRaft View Post
    [IMG]Pete,

How, oh how, did you miss the tounge cheek?

But seriously...
    Yes I did. But I didn't miss your gleeful response.

First off, if you don't have the sand to use your real name on a forum, then your opinion about the hobby doesn't matter.

Second, I deplore subterfuge in all its forms so I'm going to be do what this forum asks and instead of really giving you a piece of my mind, I'll just send you to coventry with the likes of CHS, Irish Rifles and WTH.

Adios!
    Your Obedient Servant,

Peter M. Berezuk

Proud Member of...
    69th NYSV Historical Association - USMC Historical Company - Washington Guard

Builder and Maintainer of the Ray Prosteen Memorial Event Calendar

Quote Originally Posted by PMB1861 View Post
    First off, if you don't have the sand to use your real name on a forum, then your opinion about the hobby doesn't matter.
    So not using our real names on here means we have no idea what we are talking about or matter? well then guess im just a big ole idiot, have no idea what end of the big firing stick to put the bang powder down and hopefully I point the correct end at the enemy and not shoot the guy behind me in my company! Really now, are names really that important? get real dude

I was under the mistaken impression for a long time that we needed to sign posts with our real names here, as over at Authentic Campaigner. Turns out I was wrong. I think I gave someone the "if you have a real opinion, you'll put your name on it" speech too.
    Check the dates, though: this thread was necro a long time ago. Let it go...
    Rob Weaver
    Pine River Boys, Co I, 7th Wisconsin
    "We're... Christians, what read the Bible and foller what it says about lovin' your enemies and carin' for them what despitefully use you -- that is, after you've downed 'em good and hard."
    -Si Klegg and His Pard Shorty

Moderator Note: Real names are not a requirement here due to the formation of this forum in the earlier days where "handles" or nicknames were the norm. Today, using your name is a common courtesy and highly suggested. Many people on here that matter go by the practice of only recognizing or answering to those who do use their own name and not hide behind a moniker. I myself, whether as a private member or moderator, will rarely acknowledge queries or get into discussions with those that don't use their own name or at least are well known enough within the hobby. Now, either discuss Cedar Creek like the intitial post discusses, or stay out of the thread.
    Ross Lamoreaux
    Moderator and Sewer of Historical Clothing and Tall Tales

"But our opportunity to learn and grow, to communicate the richness of the lives that have gone before us, that does not change. We do not outgrow it. It does not tatter and fall apart in our hands..." -Mrs. Terre Lawson, 2010