Thread: Confederate sharpshooter pic. ( Gettysburg )

Default Confederate sharpshooter pic. ( Gettysburg )

Hey all

Was looking at this pic that we've all seen dozens of times .. When I noticed his uniform coat. Does that look like a Frock to anyone else with a pocket outside. The skirt clearly extends past the last button.

Peter Griebel

Unless my memory is playing tricks it is indeed a frock and I believe it is clearly visible in the other images taken of the soldier before they moved his body to that location for the "sharpshooter" photo.
    Jake Koch
    Die deutschen Teufel Mess

Vicksburg N.M.P.

People smarter than myself who have done the research have found that there were issues of Confederate frocks with a large patch pocket on the breast before the campaign to CS units in the ANVs I Corps at least, which were engaged in that area. Don't know all the details off the cuff.
    Tom Scoufalos

"Will work, for...knapsacks"

Default Confederate Sharpshooter pic (Gettysburg)

The site below put forth the arguement, with some conviction, that the soldier was moved from the wall to the other position: http://www.jamescgroves.com/henry/summary.htm

Randolph Ubben

I remember reading that arguement a few years ago, found it persuasive and being laughed into silence by others who were convicted that the ONLY way he could have been moved is to the wall. I wasn't there, so I'm willing to take input...
    Rob Weaver
    Pine River Boys, Co I, 7th Wisconsin
    "We're... Christians, what read the Bible and foller what it says about lovin' your enemies and carin' for them what despitefully use you -- that is, after you've downed 'em good and hard."
    -Si Klegg and His Pard Shorty

I honestly didn't know which spot he was moved from was A and which was B, I just knew that he was moved!
    Jake Koch
    Die deutschen Teufel Mess

Vicksburg N.M.P.

Quote Originally Posted by woodreb View Post
    The site below put forth the arguement, with some conviction, that the soldier was moved from the wall to the other position: http://www.jamescgroves.com/henry/summary.htm

Randolph Ubben
    Thank you for posting this! It is great to see these "set in stone" ideas revisited.

Dan