Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Loose Ramrod in '61 Springfield

Default Loose Ramrod in '61 Springfield

Good evening all,

I just picked up an Armisport 1861 Springfield used. One thing that I noticed is that the ramrod is loose compared to my Enfield. I took the gun down to the stock and I don't see any type of mechanical tensioner, similar to the one on the Enfield. So the question for you guys is how do you keep the ramrod from sliding out if the gun is inverted? I looked at a schematic breakdown and it didn't appear that anything was missing. Your assistance is appreciated.

Best regards,
    Craig Wolfe
    2nd Georgia

The ramrod should have a swell in it, that keeps it tight against the stock. If the swell is not there, that is a 63 ramrod in a 61 stock.

The 63 ramrod is straight - the 61 has a noticible swell a couple inches below the tip. To hold the rammer in my 63, I bent it slightly. Just leaned on it until it bent a little. Never effected the function at all, including firing live.
    Rob Weaver
    Pine River Boys, Co I, 7th Wisconsin
    "We're... Christians, what read the Bible and foller what it says about lovin' your enemies and carin' for them what despitefully use you -- that is, after you've downed 'em good and hard."
    -Si Klegg and His Pard Shorty

Do a search on the AC forum, NSSA forum as well as this one. In the not too distant past this was discussed on one of these forums. If I remember correct the result of discussion was that the repro 61 ramrods with the swell were made in several different diameters.
    Jim Mayo
    Member of the old vets mess.

http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

There's a reason you put your thumb on the rammer at "secure arms." Their rammers were loose too.
    Eli Heagy
    187th PV

The 137th NY performed way, way better than the 20th Maine at Gettysburg. They just didn't have a self promoting blow hard of a Col. leading them. Maybe you should look up the history of the 83rd Pennsylvania too, they make the 20th Maine look like the rookies they were.
    There are some very good books out there about the fighting on Culps and Lower Culps Hill. Vincent's Brigade had nothing on those boys at the other end of the line.

Most repro 1861s have a ramrod spoon, which originals did not have. That is why the ramrod is swelled. You have three choices: buy a slightly larger rammer, replace the ramrod spoon or place a tiny screw just below the nosecap to force the ramrod swell against the top band and add enough friction to hold the ramrod in place.
    Craig L Barry

Author: The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy

[QUOTE=Rob Weaver;210231]The 63 ramrod is straight - the 61 has a noticible swell a couple inches below the tip.

It does have the swell in it, So it appears to be the correct ramrod for a '61

Do a search on the AC forum, NSSA forum as well as this one. In the not too distant past this was discussed on one of these forums. If I remember correct the result of discussion was that the repro 61 ramrods with the swell were made in several different diameters.

Thjanks Jim, I did a search there as well but couldn't find much information. Good to know about the different diameters of ramrods.

Wow, that is a great bit of info, never heard that before.

Craig,

I appreciate your input, the rifle is supposed to be an older Armisport, but all the modern markings have ben removed. I took it apart last night looking for a spoon similar to what is in the Armisport Enfield, but I couldn't see that there was ever anything like that on this weapon. I'll be at Vicksburg this weekend, I'll keep my eye open for a different ramrod. Barring that I will look at adding the screw as you have suggested, unless someone else has an idea.

Best regards,
    Craig Wolfe