Thread: Weird wire in forage cap

Default Weird wire in forage cap

At the Hartford city civil war reenactment in Indiana, I saw a little twisted wire in someone's forage cap. I kept on forgetting to ask him about it, so I am asking you guys. I have emailed some venders to see if it was part of the hat and they said it might be a wire from a friction primer for a cannon. They said some people like to stick them in their hat to commemorate the first time they fired a cannon. I think it is a pretty cool idea myself. It is on the chinstrap button so it seems like you might be able to hold a feather or Something in it.
    Anybody have thoughts on this?

Caleb Courtney

It's a reenactorism so I would strongly recommend not doing it. Sorry, but that is a strong sign of a farb.
    Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
    Sally Port Mess
    Historic Fort Wayne Coalition
    Old Northwest Volunteers

"If the men pursue the enemy as vigorously as they do the whores they will make very efficient soldiers."
    Charles B. Haydon, 2nd Michigan-May 6, 1861

"The horse is dead, his bones beat to a fine powder, the powder used to make a fine biscuit, and the biscuit beaten back into a powder."
    John Wickett

Quote Originally Posted by pvt_jb View Post
    It's a reenactorism so I would strongly recommend not doing it. Sorry, but that is a strong sign of a farb.
    I totally agree. Big time reenactorism.

Some have taken it to ridiculous extremes of ringing their hatcords with them to the point that they look like flamenco dancers; others have linked them to create something of a "helmet net." Don't let this happen to you.
    Marc A. Hermann.
    The Daybreak B'hoys.
    Liberty Rifles - Hardtack Society.
    Oliver Tilden Camp No. 26, SUVCW.

Descendant of Pvt. E. Hermann, 45th PA Militia - Capt. Wm. K. and Lt. Geo. W. Hopkins, 7th PA Reserves - Pvt. Jos. A. Weckerly, 72nd PA Infantry - Pvt. Thos. Will, 21st PA Cavalry.

thank you for your input. so you do agree that it is a cannon primer?

Almost beyond a doubt.
    Tom Scoufalos

"Will work, for...knapsacks"

Yep, it's a primer and they were expendable to the real guys - not souvenirs to be displayed on headgear. I would imagine other soldiers would have laughed at them for that one actually.
    Michael Comer