Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jean wool jackets

Default Jean wool jackets

Iíve been doing research and Iím interested in knowing if the 10th Kentucky (Johnson) cavalry while assigned to the 2nd Kentucky Cavalry were ever issued the Jean wool shell with blue trim on the collar and cuffs. From the picture and other sources I see that other units like the 9th Kentucky cavalry and the 2nd Kentucky cavalry were issued these jackets, while assigned to the Army of Tennessee.
    The 10th Kentucky cavalry was transferred to Gen John Hunt Morgan on 13 December 1862 and stayed assigned until the end of the war.
    Does anyone know if they were? Since there are almost no records of quarter master reports for this unit and dealing with two units going by 10th Kentucky and/or the 13th Kentucky records are all mixed up.
    Iíve read the history of the 10th Kentucky cavalry book by Adam R. Johnson and he makes no reference of uniforms but does mention his men in grey.

Jeff Thompson

You're referrng to the Columbus Depot jackets. I've never heard of any of them being given to cavalry troops.
    Jason K.
    Prodigal Sons Mess
    36th Illinois Co. "B"
    Old Northwest Volunteers

I would imagine they may got issued anything available. Not to mention many of Morgans men had a pension for civilian clothing. I would think if other units in his command had been issued Columbus Depot uniforms, I see no reason why the 10th didnt. I will take a look at my books on the 10th see if I can dig up anything.

In Geoffrey R. Walden article about the Cloumbus jacket he does state this at the end.

"Although this style would certainly seem appropriate for an impression of most any Army of Tennessee unit from 1863-65, I do not wish to imply that every single man, even in a single regiment, would have worn this style at any given moment. It is likely that clothing produced at any given depot differed in small details, and most AoT units drew uniforms from a number of different sources (including clothing from home). Period images show a mix of clothing types, and Sgt. Ives described different looking clothing in even a single issue. One late report even indicates that some AoT infantrymen wore jackets with artillery trim, as is obvious that artillerymen and cavalrymen also wore blue-trimmed jackets. Our modern impressions must take all of these factors into consideration".

There was also some photos of 2nd Ky Cavalry prisoners wearing the columbus jacket after being captured at Buffington Island on 19 July, 1863, which would prove that they were issued, but I have not found any proof of the men from 10th Ky (Johnsons) cavarly wearing them. Some of the 10th Ky cavalry were also captured during this raid in Ohio. They could have just been just called Morgans men and not the proper unit that they belonged too (Just a thought).

Does anyone have any photos or records of the men in the 10th Ky Cavalry being issued the columbus jacket with the blue trim? For they were encamped along the Murfreesboro Pike at Woodbury, Tennessee in January 1863 before the Ohio raid.

Jeff Thompson

Jeff,

I have seen images of cavalrymen from the following units, wearing what appear to be "Columbus Depot" jackets - 5th Ky. Cav. (photographed at Camp Douglas, 1863), 6th Tenn. Cav. (date unk.), 6th La. Cav. (1864?), and an unidentified soldier, but thought to be a Louisiana cavalry soldier (these are all shown on my webpage).

I think those images of the 2nd Ky. Cav. and others of Morgan's Men taken in prison, do not in fact show "CD" jackets. If we are thinking of the same photos ... the oval images of the soldiers named Berry, Brackin, and one whose name (I think) starts with an "S" (but I can't locate that image right now). I think this may have been a jacket pattern unique to Morgan's Cavalry, and some of these images make it look like a "CD" jacket, but the cuff trim was actually pointed, and on some of these jackets the point went almost up to the elbow, and there were small ball buttons on the cuff trim. Are those the images you are thinking of?

As for the 10th Ky. (Johnson's) ... All I've seen are the few images that you've seen, in Johnson's book, which show a variety of uniforms, including battle shirts.

Geoff Walden

Geoff

I'm thinking that the 10th Ky Cav wore more home made than QM issue, for with the limited amount of pictures. Most of the officer pictures show frocks and civilian style shells. One officer is wearing a double button shell but most likely bought it and not issued.

I'm thinking that if they were issued anything from the QM stores, it would have been anything left over after the Infantry.

Thank you for your time.

Jeff Thompson

Actually, in his "History of Morgan's Cavalry," Basil W. Duke mentions that Morgan's entire command was completely outfitted by the CS government with uniforms of "most excellent quality." This was in mid-May 1863 when encamped on the Cumberland and just prior to Morgan's Kentucky Raid. It was considered a noteworty event because it was the first and only clothing they had received from the government up until that time. Now as to the pattern of uniform, who knows? Hope this helps.

Bob Williams
    26th NCT

Bob

Thanks for the response, which brings up the original concern or question. For Iíve still have been unable to locate any solid proof or dis-proof of the men wearing the Jean shell with blue trim. I guess itís one of those obscurities that we as reenactors must face.
    I do know that while Adam Johnson and Bob Martin were working for Nathan Forrest they and their newly recruited Kentucky men did wear civilian clothing while in Kentucky as Partisan Rangers and when they met back up with Forrest they were still wearing civilian clothing. Reference from the book Partisan Rangers the Confederate States Army by Gen Adam R Johnson.
    I will keep looking for any documentation.
    Jeff Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by ohio7thcav View Post
    Iíve been doing research and Iím interested in knowing if the 10th Kentucky (Johnson) cavalry while assigned to the 2nd Kentucky Cavalry were ever issued the Jean wool shell with blue trim on the collar and cuffs. From the picture and other sources I see that other units like the 9th Kentucky cavalry and the 2nd Kentucky cavalry were issued these jackets, while assigned to the Army of Tennessee.
    The 10th Kentucky cavalry was transferred to Gen John Hunt Morgan on 13 December 1862 and stayed assigned until the end of the war.
    Does anyone know if they were? Since there are almost no records of quarter master reports for this unit and dealing with two units going by 10th Kentucky and/or the 13th Kentucky records are all mixed up.
    Iíve read the history of the 10th Kentucky cavalry book by Adam R. Johnson and he makes no reference of uniforms but does mention his men in grey.

Jeff Thompson
    I am a little confused, the 10th Kentucky Cav. was formed from the mountaineer's of eastern Ky and Western Va. (WVA) The were called May's and Diamonds Cav. and fought in Eastern Kentucky and Eastern TN. They were formed into a full regiment in 1863 and given the name 10th Ky Cav.. They were transfered to Morgan's command for the 1864 raid in Kentucky, and fought under Johnston. They up to the time they were formed into a regiment in late 1863, had no uniforms, each man having what he had from in home area. They were armed with a assortment of weapons. The only reference of uniforms in the winter of 62/63 were blue overcoats captured from the federals. If they had any clothing from the confederate government it would have happened in the winter of 63/64, or at the time they were transfered to Morgan. However, I believe it would have been what ever was available to them. Many by this time did not even have horses or mules to ride, about half were without mounts.

Some of these men were ancestors of mine as were others that were mountaineers of Kentucky.

S.D. Stewart

That is the other 10th Ky. along with Captain Fields partisan rangers. These men started out as the 5th Ky Infantry and refused to leave Kentucky unprotected and to fight in other states. Luckly their one year enlistment ended and were allowed to join other units and some went home to proctect their families.

Johnson 10th Ky was formed in the Western part of Kentucky. This is the unit that I am working on and trying to get all of the correct info.

Jeff Thompson