Thread: Any TX units?

Hybrid View

Default Any TX units?

Hi, I'm in San Antonio, TX and I know not a whole lot of Civil war activity went on around here. So are there any TX units in my area?

Oh, and where does one get a costume from? I presume many make their own, but is there an online store or something where CW period women and men's clothing, shoes, etc can be purchased?

Thanks so much y'all!

You used the C word......

That said, you may want to 1st ask yourself, what kind of civil war reenacting/ living history do I want to do? Also you phyical condition will also come into play. There are as many kinds of reenactors in the hobby as there are types of people. Are you looking to experiance to a small degree the life of the soldier of that time? You just want to theme camp, and burn powder? Are you looking for something in between? Look for units in your area and state. Google, and you should find some. Hopefully others here on the board will answer your call.

Rule number ONE. IF you hear from thier mouths constantly, Stitch Counters, FARBS, and other terms, stay away. They are more interested in promoting themselves than improving themselves.

Where you buy your equipment and uniforms, ect. will be determined by what route you take. Do not buy anything, until you try a few events with different units, to find your confort zone. A good unit will always mentor you in making good decisions.

I am sure you will find your place in the hobby, and enjoy it. The best way it continue to learn, because the day you say to yourself, you know it all, is the day you need to step out of the hobby.

Best wishes,

Shawn

Google the 'Red River Battalion'. The 6th Texas is based out of SA.

Weldon

http://www.9thtexas.org/
    http://www.6thtx.org/
    http://www.texasrifles.org/

Listen to Weldon and Shawn...they have good advice for ya!
    The above units in this thread have good impressions, and will steer you in the right direction as far as uniforms/equipage. These units have uniforms, costumes they save for lame stream and Hollywood!
    I know some of the boys in these units, they will gladly help you if you are willing to take advice.
    Let us know how things turn out for ya!

Kevin Dally

These groups and others will be represented at Liendo Plantation, near Hempstead, Texas, Nov. 16-18, probably the closest CW reenactor event to San Antonio. There will be plenty of folks (women, too) in period civilian garb as well as military, and they can advise you about civilian clothes, if that is your particular interest. See: http://www.liendo.org/civilwarweekend/civilwar.html.

Mark Henry

The other good thing about the units that are part of the Red River Battalion is that they portray both Union and Confederate. Not begrudgingly, but to give a decent impression to honor the Americans who served on both sides.
    Joanna Norris Grimshaw

Quote Originally Posted by hiplainsyank View Post
    The other good thing about the units that are part of the Red River Battalion is that they portray both Union and Confederate. Not begrudgingly, but to give a decent impression to honor the Americans who served on both sides.
    Indeed! I was just at Vicksburg and it was amazing to walk the massive battlefield and see all the monuments for both sides!
    the blue and the gray both sacrificed, neither is greater than the other.

Quote Originally Posted by S.D.Swart View Post
    You used the C word......

That said, you may want to 1st ask yourself, what kind of civil war reenacting/ living history do I want to do? Also you phyical condition will also come into play. There are as many kinds of reenactors in the hobby as there are types of people. Are you looking to experiance to a small degree the life of the soldier of that time? You just want to theme camp, and burn powder? Are you looking for something in between? Look for units in your area and state. Google, and you should find some. Hopefully others here on the board will answer your call.

Rule number ONE. IF you hear from thier mouths constantly, Stitch Counters, FARBS, and other terms, stay away. They are more interested in promoting themselves than improving themselves.

Where you buy your equipment and uniforms, ect. will be determined by what route you take. Do not buy anything, until you try a few events with different units, to find your confort zone. A good unit will always mentor you in making good decisions.

I am sure you will find your place in the hobby, and enjoy it. The best way it continue to learn, because the day you say to yourself, you know it all, is the day you need to step out of the hobby.

Best wishes,

Shawn

my bad, you're right, it's not a costume. It's a piece of history...

and i'm actually looking more into whether at reenactments they normally have female spies, washerwomen, cooks, etc participating. Because female spies for both sides DID play not an insignificant role in the war.

Quote Originally Posted by Belle Boyd fan
    my bad, you're right, it's not a costume. It's a piece of history...

and i'm actually looking more into whether at reenactments they normally have female spies, washerwomen, cooks, etc participating. Because female spies for both sides DID play not an insignificant role in the war.
    Not every person alive during the war was special. Common, everyday people living during challenging times is an impression which is under rated and under appreciated.
    - Silas Tackitt

"I consider him a humbug, a man of small capacity, very obstinate, not at all chivalrous, exceedingly conceited, and totally selfish." - - Lafayette McLaws about James Longstreet.