Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What makes a civilian impression

Rancho San Rafael, Republic of the Pacific

Nothing says "military", that officer is probably just hopelessly clueless.
    Andrew Grim
    Monte Mounted Rifles, Monte Boys
    Mess of Myself
    Occasional 7%er

"Los Angeles at the close of the Rebellion was the most vindictive, uncompromising community in the United States" Horace Bell

Hallo!

In the absence of context, we could apply Hanlon's Razor. (Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.)

IMHO, with the rise of the "civilian community" in the CW Community, and with hopes of growing and expanding that growing flame, I think understanding what actually happened in this story/incident would or will help others in the future.

Curt

Curt
    In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

Not a real Civil War reenactor, I only portray one on boards and fora.
    I do not portray a Civil War soldier, I merely interpret one.

Curt - where this is going is as Ms. Lawson stated. Our Civilian towns do not want to be an extension of Mixed camps. So our top guideline is no military in camp. Period. We are talking about individuals just wanting to stroll through town because it is the shortest route for them (by about 30 feet!). Or Federals wanting to visit their families camping out in uniform, as opposed to coming into town non-descript. We are not talking of scripted or non-scripted scenarios of both Federal and Confederate incusrions. The scripted ones will be discussed prior to the event going live. We had a non-scripted incursion by Federals Saturday night. The officer in charge spoke to Ms. Lawson and myself ahead of time to see if it would be OK. We were taken over for awhile, the Peacock was put under guard the officer got to see his significant other as well. All well played and within our guidelines.
    This thread is more than just the impression. I know that my Yeoman impressions are pretty good. What we have at each event is certain military who do not want to allow us to play our own game. They would not want Civilian going to Military camp and just traipse past their Provost Guard (should they bother to set one up) nor would they want Civilians to go out into the battlefield and set up a forge or a spinning wheel during the battle. This thread is also to try and get certain military leaders to "get it". You have your scenarios, we have ours. Just give us the respect for our guidelines you would want us to give Military guidelines. It is also to perhaps help some Military understand there is another side to this hobby than just Military. It is also addressed to smart-mouthed soldiers who get politely asked to go around town and then want to get agitated. When asked nicely, just say OK so we can enjoy our scenario.
    The context, by the way, is Townspeople guarding the entries of the Town to keep Military from just strolling through. We are all dressed as farmers, shopkeepers, and one indvidual in dress coat, carrying either a shotgun or a revolver. My 'ccoter was an 1850's hunting shotbag.
    Last edited by desotobob; 10-10-2012 at 12:58 PM. Reason: spelling and contetnt
    Robert Orrand
    Forrest Camp #215, SCV
    Mayor of Dover, Little York, Purdy, Raymond, LaFayette - and now, Gettysburg
    4th TN CSA - Co A - Shelby Greys

Quote Originally Posted by desotobob View Post
    Had an occasion to speak with a Federal officer this weekend at Perrvyille. He accused me of being military dressed, while portraying Home Guard. And also accused me of wearing 'cooters. I wore side seam jean cloth pants, an overshirt, workboots, a civilian (Weller) overcoat and a grey broad-rimmed hat. My weapon was a double-barreled shotgun with an 1850's shotbag. Out hunting squirrels was I.
    Now, am I wrong about my impression, or is it that many on the military-only side know little about Civilian impressions?
    Just wondering.

The person inside the clothes, makes the impression.
    Eli Heagy
    187th PV

The 137th NY performed way, way better than the 20th Maine at Gettysburg. They just didn't have a self promoting blow hard of a Col. leading them.
    "I didn't do my homework when I was in school. And, you expect me to do yours for you? Not happening."

Hallo!

"You are correct. A lot of what transpired in that case, was a scenario based miscue. While the Confederate command had communicated the civilian town scenario quite well, there was a break in the line somewhere in the Federal chain. Some units were keenly aware of the Town scenario, right down to the individual private, while other units did not have information even at their top levels.

Rather like the no fire pits thing, the lack of communication, or the failure to read what is clearly communicated, causes many problems."

"We are talking about individuals just wanting to stroll through town because it is the shortest route for them (by about 30 feet!). Or Federals wanting to visit their families camping out in uniform, as opposed to coming into town non-descript."

I am either confused or misunderstood, then.
    My initial impression was that the issue or problem was with a federal officer reacting to an armed civilian as a guerrilla or bushwhacker.
    But I am coming to think that the issue was more along the lines of civilians having/running their own "event within an event" doing civillian everyday-type things who were compromised by federals not on the same page and whose perception was that they were "off the clock" and went about traipsing around and visiting/socializing and otherwise modern intruding/interrrupting the scenario and "impression clock" of the civilian town.

Sorry.

Curt

Curt you are correct. The officer was saying I was military in my dress Ii was carrying out my duties of protecting our dear townsfolk. Thanks for all your comments.
    And Eli - yes indeed,sir!
    Last edited by desotobob; 10-10-2012 at 04:08 PM. Reason: my spelling is really bad today
    Robert Orrand
    Forrest Camp #215, SCV

Now that the parameters of Robert's impression are established, lets go more to locating the systemic root of the problem.

The Federal Officer in question had a good personal impression. He had come into Town to solve what he perceived as our problem. One of his men had taken offense to being turned around from the Town.

Instructions had been sent out from the Park in pre-event literature that the civilian only Town was off limits to military. Instructions were given as how to come in to Town (no weapons, no accoutrements, remove coat or bring your furlough papers)

The Confederate Army seemed to know this to a man, and we had some delightful play with individuals

Knowledge of this instruction was much spottier in the Federal Army. Butler's men knew it, as did Berezuk's and the WFB. And some came down to play in a manner that fit the scenario.

There was a larger group that did not have the information or did not care.

The latter, I don't expect much of--probably the most ludicrous were the soldiers hauling their brand new Slat Back Folding FarbChairs, who wouldn't move over 20 feet to the road open to them. (Yes, I am a grumpy old woman. Pot, meet Kettle-you were rude and were asked nicely to move first)

But for the soldier who honestly did not know, and chose not to pay attention to signs at each end of the Living History Village, I want to know where the disconnect was in the chain of command.

Mrs Simpson piloted this idea of a civilian only village years ago. Her model is the one I use for the Towns set up at BGA events.

I'd like to know who didn't understand, or which commanders thought it an unimportant thing to convey to their men, so we can spend some time talking and understanding each other. We have many more events with this model on the calendar, and I want to make them better for all concerned

Terre Lawson
    Civilian Governor, Blue Gray Alliance
    Mrs. Lawson
    Weaver, Spinster, Strong Fast Dyes
    Knitted Goods and yarns available thlawson@bellsouth.net

Moderator, When I remember. We got Rules here!

Quote Originally Posted by desotobob View Post
    Curt you are correct. The officer was saying I was military in my dress Ii was carrying out my duties of protecting our dear townsfolk. Thanks for all your comments.
    And Eli - yes indeed,sir!
    Can you explain why you shoved a firearm into another reenactor's face?
    Cullen Smith
    South Union Guard

"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake"~W.C. Fields

"When I drink whiskey, I drink whiskey; and when I drink water, I drink water."~Michaleen Flynn 'The Quiet Man'

Hallo!

Thanks for the explanations!

Keep up the Good Work.

Curt

Cullen -You should ask before you respond. At no time was my shotgun shoved into someone's face. I always hold it straight across my chest, pointed 30 degrees back toward my left shoulder. What made you think I was pointing a gun at someone?
    Robert Orrand
    Forrest Camp #215, SCV