Thread: Confederate Surgeons Uniform

Default Confederate Surgeons Uniform

I have done a lot of research on NC surgeons and assistant surgeons about the proper rank to wear. Early war regs call for a frock coat with federal style shoulder straps for all staff officers to include medical. I put the captain's shoulder straps with the M.S in the center to distinguish me as medical but my question is once the transition to collar rank is made, are there any distinguishing ways of showing me as medical service other than the green sash if/when I wear it?

Also any other confederate medical info or research material would be great. I am always looking to improve my impression. Thanks
    Jonathan M Hawkins
    C.S.A. Surgeon

"In honor of my 3rd great grandfather Pvt Fields A. Hawkins 13th NCT Co. B CSA"

"Always mistify, mislead, and surprise the enemy" Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Yes the Black Facings. only medical officers are to wear black facings and the 1 and 1/4" black pant stripe with gold welts on both sides
    David Meister

Surgeon C.S.A.

1st Assistant Surgeon 108th Regt. Ills. Vols.

So wearing just the black 1/8" officers welt is not correct? And how wide are the gold welts to be??
    Last edited by jhawkins19; 10-07-2012 at 10:49 AM. Reason: more questions
    Jonathan M Hawkins
    C.S.A. Surgeon

"Always mistify, mislead, and surprise the enemy" Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Same width as the federal 1/8th" on both sides of the 1 an 1/4th" black velvet.

1487. For the Medical Department – a black velvet stripe; one inch and a quarter in width, with a
    gold cord on each edge of the stripe.
    David Meister

Surgeon C.S.A.

Thank you so much for that. Do you know if anybody makes them?? For confederates would it still be gray wool/jean wool?? I may be able to make them if I can find the gold welt. Again thanks.
    Jonathan M Hawkins
    C.S.A. Surgeon

regulations called for dark blue however I have seen original images of pants matching the coat also some of the black stripe but no gold cord
    David Meister

Surgeon C.S.A.

Alright thank you very much. One morre thing, where might i find some of these original images to look at to get some made??
    Jonathan M Hawkins
    C.S.A. Surgeon

I have not seen images of the pants alone only the surgeon wearing them I found these images in a google search
    David Meister

Surgeon C.S.A.