Injuries and even death from lamp accidents were extremely common during the entire period during whic they were used. They were very justifiably frightened by fire. I'l give you a horrifying example: Henry W Longfellow and his wife were reading by candlelight when the candle somehow ignited her dress. She was wearing a number of crinoline petticoats and she went up like a torch before her husband's eyes. She did not survive. Henry wrote: "And in despair I bowed my head/'There is no peace of earth' I said./ For hate is strong and mocks the song/ of peace of earth, goodwill to men." Her death was one of the things which propelled him into that dark state of mind. "Then pealed the bells more loud and deep/'God is not dead, nor doth He sleep.'/ The wrong shall fail, the right prevail/ With peace on earth, goodwill to men."
I would recommend to anyone using lamps to exercise more caution than you normally would. Even when we burn candles in our homes, it's rarely with the extra highly flammable things like long sleeves, dresses, straw, etc to ignite. For this reason I would not recommend actually using a slush lamp except for very short demonstrations. They flash over pretty easily, and there's a lot of stuff for them to burn. Even sardine oil is hard to stamp out before it catches one of those bits of tinder above described. That horrifing bit of history I'd rather avoid.
Pine River Boys, Co I, 7th Wisconsin
"We're... Christians, what read the Bible and foller what it says about lovin' your enemies and carin' for them what despitefully use you -- that is, after you've downed 'em good and hard."
-Si Klegg and His Pard Shorty