Thread: We're going to make a (nother) Gettysburg PC game...

Default We're going to make a (nother) Gettysburg PC game...

....and we are currently polling people on suggested titles. I would be delighted if you might take a few minutes to give us your input here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...OW9VUThOWHc6MQ

We don't ask for any personal information. And eventually -- i.e., in a week or so -- we will be launching our Kickstarter project, attempting to get funding for what we hope will be the best Gettysburg game ever. I won't ramble on about that now, save to say that not only am I a reenactor, I have been designing and managing the development of PC games for more than 20 years, as has my primary partner, and we will make a good game.

The moderators have graciously given me permission to post the above, and also to talk a little bit about our Kickstarter project, once we get started. We will eventually also be looking for beta testers.

Thanks for taking our poll!

B.C. Milligan
    Company K, First Penna. Reserves

Not all moderators were contacted - at least not this one....
    Upon further review, Mrs. Lawson was contacted and approved, so carry on....
    Last edited by FloridaHoosier; 09-30-2012 at 08:06 AM.
    Ross Lamoreaux
    Moderator and Sewer of Historical Clothing and Tall Tales

"But our opportunity to learn and grow, to communicate the richness of the lives that have gone before us, that does not change. We do not outgrow it. It does not tatter and fall apart in our hands..." -Mrs. Terre Lawson, 2010

I had no idea we were supposed to send an email to every moderator when we made any requests, and in any case, I just sent one to the contact link. Please advise me, should I have any requests in the future, to which group of people they should be directed. I thought I was being thoughtful by just making the request at all, rather than merely posting!

Thanks.

B.C. Milligan

Quote Originally Posted by Remise View Post
    I had no idea we were supposed to send an email to every moderator when we made any requests, and in any case, I just sent one to the contact link. Please advise me, should I have any requests in the future, to which group of people they should be directed. I thought I was being thoughtful by just making the request at all, rather than merely posting!

Thanks.

B.C. Milligan
    You're fine and did the right thing. A message to any of the moderators gets the ball rolling - it worked even this time, just had messages between us bouncing through the ether this time....
    Ross Lamoreaux
    Moderator and Sewer of Historical Clothing and Tall Tales

"But our opportunity to learn and grow, to communicate the richness of the lives that have gone before us, that does not change. We do not outgrow it. It does not tatter and fall apart in our hands..." -Mrs. Terre Lawson, 2010

At High Tide

S. Chris Anders
    Southern Division
    www.southerndivision.org
    http://www.civilwarhenrico.com/

There is nothing more difficult to take in hand, more perilous to conduct, or more uncertain in its success, than to take the lead in the introduction of a new order of things. - Niccoló Machiavelli, The Prince. 1537.

I'm a big fan of simulations as well as first-person shooters. I would enjoy a Civil War simulation that allowed the exploration of alternate-history endings and what-if scenarios. I always appreciate it when developers leave hooks in place for modders to work in the future, also.

Steve
    Steve Sheldon

Quote Originally Posted by Anders View Post
    At High Tide

Chris -- It was a great event -- the Wheatfield really reminded me of the Wheatfield -- and we had considered that title, but we need something that we can use for a series of games. I appreciate the suggestion, and look forward to more High Tides and MMMs!

Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by maillemaker View Post
    I'm a big fan of simulations as well as first-person shooters. I would enjoy a Civil War simulation that allowed the exploration of alternate-history endings and what-if scenarios. I always appreciate it when developers leave hooks in place for modders to work in the future, also.

Steve
    Steve -- The modding tools might have to come later, but our game will be based on brigade-sized units (like the miniatures rules of Fire and Fury, if you are familiar with them, though our game won't play the same), and, as much as possible, the players will see what generals and colonels at the battle would have seen (in full 3-D), and they will also have to make real-world decisions based upon the facts as they perceive them.

One reason we are doing this game is that, as a reenactor, I have seen a lot of things that were possible, or that were not possible, that most games rarely consider. Take firing by oblique, as an obvious example. Most games let your units fire 30-45 degrees to either flank, when we know 15 degrees would be pushing things, without a wheel. Etc.

We have done a lot of work for government and DoD clients in the past ten years, and as such, have had to create AI that could persuade a real general that he is facing an intelligent foe. We hope to put this experience to good work in our game, about which I will have more to say in coming days...

B.C. Milligan