Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: WARNING: New Armi Sport Enfield Stocks...

Hopefully someday someone will get the Enfield right and we can stop obsessing about it. Perhaps then we can move on to the '61... the real "ugly duckling" in the world of repro muskets!

John Wickett
    Carpetbagger

Now if the Todd Watts gun stock that was sent to Italy is used, which should be more or less correct...then we should see for certain.
    On the bright side, maybe guys will start buying 1842s vs Enfields/US 1861s and we will start seeing adequate smoothbore musket
    representation in the ranks.
    LOL a silver lining in every cloud.

However the Pedersoli Enfields seem to be rather nice and not nearly as expensive as was originally feared. Of course they are somewhat hard to obtain right now.

Steve
    Steve Sheldon

I love the Enfield, but agree there are far too many in the ranks today. Too bad the Lorenz project never materialized (not enough start up money) Craig and I cooked up, and too bad there is not an adequate supply of 1816s or decent-looking 1824 conversions. I do completely understand the big makers' dilema though after long conversations with Armi and a few partsd makers I talked to during the Lorenz fiasco. When start-up costs will run in the range of $100,000 - $150,000 to produce your first new model and that model will then only be competeing against a model you already make meaning it takes your own customers and moves them to a new gun instead of one you already make it will take you years to break even and we don't have that sort of time before the 150ths end and the US market slows considerably. I had rough-calculated that my Lorenz project was going to only allow me to produce at best 2 per week and the parts alone per gun were going to be nearly $1000 so to make a decent living at it I was going to have to be charging a good $1500 per gun. Who in the world will pay that when you can get good originals for that or less than that and how many buyers would I honestly have? After the 25-50 hard-cores willing to pay that have theirs, what then? It'd also take over 200 guns sold to make back the start-up costs, or 100+ weeks' worth of work at 2 per week. Eek! It gives me shivers just thinking about it all again.

At some point, Todd, I'm going to send my Euroarms Enfield with my Whitacre barrel up to you for defarbing. I like to not contrain artists when they are working on something so other than a general "make it a BSAT Enfield" I'm cool with whatever you want to tinker with on it. I totally understand if someone is trying to go after something specific, of course.

Can I just drop it off at Blockade Runner to save on shipping? I suppose it doesn't really save on anything given the drive from Huntsville to Wartrace but it's fun to look around the store anyway.

Also my unblued barrel has picked up some very very slight pitting around the cone from use - I assume you polish the barrels before bluing anyway after the defarbing you have to do. This barrel has no topside visible markings to remove but I assume you can give the barrel a nice finish before bluing?

I wonder if you can get Pedersoli barrel bands to work?

Steve
    Steve Sheldon

I guess I'll just have to tell anyone that asks that this is what happens during those long lonely nights lying on your arms in line of battle, dreaming of the girl back home

Bushwhacker

I might get Peder-bands to work but Armis are better. Peder made theirs wider but then failed to add the keeper for whatever brain-dead reason. I can't add keepers to their screws without butchering the ends to fit an Armi keeper and then really have to glue it in place to hold reliably. Yes I can blue the barrel and remove pits but may just blue over the pits if not worth removing. Drop it off at BRi if you like and tell them if they balk that I said to. They are trying to not accept guns in right now because the status of my current shop is approaching limbo but I am still working.

Any update on the new stocks for these?
    Matt Lovejoy

Quote Originally Posted by MLovejoy View Post
    Any update on the new stocks for these?
    Last I heard the next production run of Armi Sport Enfields with the "corrected" stock from one done by Todd Watts is slated for April. None have been received in the US as of yet. The other rumor is that when they are received the new cost retail will be $900-$1000. Of course we heard the Pedersoli Enfield would be $1200 and they can be purchased for $849 at Cabela's.

On that subject, the Pedersoli is quite a bit better than the Armi Sport NIB (new in box) if it is anywhere near the same cost. Not only historical accuracy features but their lock springs are just phenomenal. The last batch of new Armi Sport Enfields that I handled had very soft mainsprings, although they would pop a cap I wondered if they still would after a year of field use? The Armi Sport "150th Anniversary" version of their Enfield with the weird stock contours, etc has been an unmitigated disaster.

On the other hand, their "150th Anniversary" US 1842 was an improvement to an already superior reproduction. Go figure.
    Craig L Barry

Author: The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy

What a bummer! I wish I'd sent this sucker back before I test-fired it. Too late now. (insert string of profanity here).

Bushwhacker
    http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h8...clothes007.jpg

Bushwhacker
    Pvt.;10th Mo. Infantry/Artillery CSA

Thanks Craig. I know of some guys looking to pick some up, but wanted to make sure they got something that was't a POS. Is there anything that can be done about those less than stellar mainsprings like replacing them with an original or something from Lodgewood, Zimmerman or S&S Firearms?
    Matt Lovejoy