Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: WARNING: New Armi Sport Enfield Stocks...

I can't think of any scenario where the evolution of the hobby results in a large end item manufacturer (like muskets) producing a flood of new and improved items. If anything, from a business perspective, this market is pretty much saturated. Frankly, I'm glad that I have as many muskets as I want right now. The sticker price right now is 2x what I paid for my last musket. I'm doubly glad I got a Sharps when I did, because frankly they're outside my reach now. I have no gunsmithing skills, so I admire what you guys do.
    Rob Weaver
    Pine River Boys, Co I, 7th Wisconsin
    "We're... Christians, what read the Bible and foller what it says about lovin' your enemies and carin' for them what despitefully use you -- that is, after you've downed 'em good and hard."
    -Si Klegg and His Pard Shorty

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Weaver View Post
    I can't think of any scenario where the evolution of the hobby results in a large end item manufacturer (like muskets) producing a flood of new and improved items. If anything, from a business perspective, this market is pretty much saturated. Frankly, I'm glad that I have as many muskets as I want right now. The sticker price right now is 2x what I paid for my last musket. I'm doubly glad I got a Sharps when I did, because frankly they're outside my reach now. I have no gunsmithing skills, so I admire what you guys do.
    Hit it right on the head. Never more thankful that I have all the muskets I need (plus or minus) and spent less than half what they cost now on each one of them. At a time when interest is waning it has never been more expensive to participate. It's not all doom and gloom but the 150th cycle, I think it is safe to say, did not re-ignite American interest in the Civil War period or attract more participants to the hobby.

Oddly, Armi Chiappa reports that the Enfield stock re-shape corrections were slowed down since they shipped fewer Enfields than ever before and it took longer to work through the existing supply of misshaped gun stocks. Amazing.
    Craig L Barry

Author: The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy

There seems to be a consensus here; Civil War reenacting is in decline and there's nothing that anyone can do about it. Sad.

I have also looked into using Shoppe parts to build one but run into the sae price range of close to $2000 and people won't pay it. Literally, one in 500 re-enactors would even seriously consider that price and that is hardly any profit for me to do it and takes me away from other work at the same time further reducing profits. I am not in this for profit but do need to justify my time doing it. That same issue and unit cost is what Armi Sport or Pedersolli would be considering in an effort to just turn a few dollars profit per unit sold in hoes that after selling a few hundred they break even on the start-up cost so they can finally start making money. And the Armi Sport guy I talked to said they research models and determin that if they cannot sell upwards of 300 per year they do not deem it a worth-while investment. At $1000+ there is no way 300 re-enactors in the entire world would buy that first year.

YOu can find originals that can be used at much cheaper rates. I have restored a few including one Craig found me that Iw as using as the pattern to try to copy for this project. With some Acra-Gel forced into surface cracks and some judicious care it turned out to be a fine re-enacting gun. I sold it in the spring (divorce ruins gun collections) to a guy who live-fired it with a .57" Minie and he said it was dead-on accurate. Wish I'd known that potential accuracy before I sold it for I'd love to have hunted with it. Anyway, THAT Lorenz was dated 1861 and was some odd contract model that had evenly spaced barrel bands and with original bayonet and good repro scabbard cost us $700 which was a steal.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Watts View Post
    I have also looked into using Shoppe parts to build one but run into the sae price range of close to $2000 and people won't pay it. Literally, one in 500 re-enactors would even seriously consider that price and that is hardly any profit for me to do it and takes me away from other work at the same time further reducing profits. I am not in this for profit but do need to justify my time doing it. That same issue and unit cost is what Armi Sport or Pedersolli would be considering in an effort to just turn a few dollars profit per unit sold in hoes that after selling a few hundred they break even on the start-up cost so they can finally start making money. And the Armi Sport guy I talked to said they research models and determin that if they cannot sell upwards of 300 per year they do not deem it a worth-while investment. At $1000+ there is no way 300 re-enactors in the entire world would buy that first year.

YOu can find originals that can be used at much cheaper rates. I have restored a few including one Craig found me that Iw as using as the pattern to try to copy for this project. With some Acra-Gel forced into surface cracks and some judicious care it turned out to be a fine re-enacting gun. I sold it in the spring (divorce ruins gun collections) to a guy who live-fired it with a .57" Minie and he said it was dead-on accurate. Wish I'd known that potential accuracy before I sold it for I'd love to have hunted with it. Anyway, THAT Lorenz was dated 1861 and was some odd contract model that had evenly spaced barrel bands and with original bayonet and good repro scabbard cost us $700 which was a steal.
    You sold "our" Lorenz? Nice...
    Craig L Barry

Had to and thought about selling the VA Contract even but have not gone that far yet. Divorce sux.

What next? The Vatican selling off holy relics?
    Craig L Barry

I don't want to sell any more. I already lost some gems I really needed for the zombies!

Well, I have a "guess" what happened as far as the hour glass shaped Enfield stocks go. I think they reprogramed the stock shaper to the origional dimensions EXCEPT where the barrel bands are located so they would not have to retool for new smaller barrel bands. Just a thought.