Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Current Unfortunate Situation at Our National Parks

Default The Current Unfortunate Situation at Our National Parks

Note: This thread is not, repeat not about politics, for that is forbidden on CWReenactors. It is only about how the fallout of a certain unfortunate situation is effecting us and what you can do about it. [/I]
    The National Parks are currently closed. Battlefield land that was purchased long ago and placed under the NPS's care is currently inaccessible to you, me and everybody else except for NPS law enforcement. You cannot go to Gettysburg and stand on Little Round Top. You cannot got to Antietam and visit Burnside's bridge. You cannot go to Chickamauga and ascend Snodgrass Hill. You can't got to Vicksburg and see the USS Cairo. Should you wish to take a chance and enter any of these places you could be arrested, spend time in jail, and be fined up to $5,000!

With the exception of essential LE, the stewards of these lands are not at work and not being paid. The private businesses that provide needed services to facilitate visiting these hallowed grounds are going to suffer. You... are going to suffer. We all will suffer. I'm suffering already and its not even been 48 hours.

How does all this make you feel?

To me, it is very disconcerting. I live in the Eastern Theater of the war and visit the National Military Parks, National Battlefields, and National Historic Sites associated with the Civil War on a regular basis. Now.... I feel like a loved one is lying sick in a hospital but I can't even pay a visit. It makes me feel sad... and outraged.

Regardless of the reason why a certain political situation is causing our battlefields to be barred to us, I urge everyone with an interest in the American Civil War to write your so-called "representatives" in Washington and express your feelings in respectful but no uncertain terms.

Don't think this will all be over in a few days. The last gov't shutdown lasted 21 days. This one has all the earmarks of perhaps lasting longer. A lot longer due to the prevailing pigheadedness of all factions involved. Imagine going to Gettysburg for Remembrance Day, but not being able to visit the battlefield. Don't assume it will all be over by then. Imagine parading through town and seeing the parade terminate at somewhere other than on the grounds of the National Military Park.

Start here: Find Your Representative
    Last edited by Headlog; 10-02-2013 at 04:25 PM.
    Henry Loomis

(\_/)
    (o.o)
    (><)
    This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

Without being political, I think you have become just that. Find your Representative and tell them exactly what? All falls on one side or the other.

As with most things, this too shall pass.

A. Redd
    Andy Redd

Regardless of reasons, the landlords are being prevented from visiting their property.
    Rob Weaver
    Pine River Boys, Co I, 7th Wisconsin
    "We're... Christians, what read the Bible and foller what it says about lovin' your enemies and carin' for them what despitefully use you -- that is, after you've downed 'em good and hard."
    -Si Klegg and His Pard Shorty

Well really it is absurd to close parks that otherwise are open all the time, as well as monuments. You can go to these sites without rangers all the time, so why close them. Pea Ridge and others that are gated and secured parks, okay. Visitor Centers closed, okay. Close Gettysburg fields and hills? Antietam? Chancellorsville? The last time I visited Chancellorsville was in the dead of summer, after 6pm, and I did it all without Rangers. Seems to me someone is abusing the situation to a level of silliness that makes no sense if you step back and look. My museums are closed on Fort Sill, but my artillery park is still open for folks to visit and the National Historic Landmark is still available for visitors to walk around. Silly me.
    Frank Siltman
    Cannoneer, Fort Sill Historic Gun Detachment
    24th MO Vol Inf
    Lawton/Fort Sill, OK

I agree. With a good Civil War Battlefield guidebook, you can drive around the field enjoyably without any assistance. I'm all for closing the Visitor's Center if you must, close the gates and patrol after dark for security, but for goodness sake let people drive and walk the property. How costly can that be?
    Rob Weaver
    Pine River Boys, Co I, 7th Wisconsin
    "We're... Christians, what read the Bible and foller what it says about lovin' your enemies and carin' for them what despitefully use you -- that is, after you've downed 'em good and hard."
    -Si Klegg and His Pard Shorty

Well, there are some good reasons the parks are closed down, even to walking traffic. Relic hunters, vandalism, etc. They need more than law enforcement on site to ensure the safety of visitors and preservation of the battlefield property. Not saying I agree, but I get the rationale. The real reasons are (of course) more along the lines of holding the national parks hostage to incite public outrage, etc. As you can see, that's working to a degree.

Sit tight, nothing is forever.
    Craig L Barry

Author: The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy

Well, you know what they say, there's nothing like losing something to make you appreciate it.

Steve
    Steve Sheldon

Quote Originally Posted by maillemaker View Post
    Well, you know what they say, there's nothing like losing something to make you appreciate it.

Steve
    At least the Visitor Center for one iconic CW site is functioning:

Gettysburg National Military Park Museum and Visitor Center

We’re getting ready for visitors today!

The Visitor Center is open, our programs are running—the Film, Cyclorama and Museum Experience has started, Licensed Battlefield Guides are taking visitors on modified battlefield tours. Join us! There is lot’s going on at the Museum and Visitor Center at Gettysburg National Military Park .
    Please don’t forget to Show Us Your Photo with Lincoln at Tumblr http://visitorcenterlincoln.tumblr.com/

The Gettysburg Visitor Center is the only visitor center in the entire National Park Service (all 401 national parks) that is open because it is owned and operated by a private non-profit.

https://www.facebook.com/GettysburgVisitorCenter

Yes, it is concerning on many fronts.

Our cavalry unit is to do a living history and Cav demonstration at Stones River, in Murfreesboro, on the first weekend in November. I spoke a few days ago with Craig's (and my) friend, Jim Lewis, who works there and it is all up in the air at this point. Really a tough thing in so many ways.

Just my rambling thoughts......

Mark
    Mark Choate
    7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D

I was just about to ask you about that Mark!
    Andrew Verdon

7th Tennessee Cavalry Company D, CSA

"Let history dictate our impressions.......not the other way around!" - Mark Choate