Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stuck Cleaning Patch

Default Stuck Cleaning Patch

I'm glad that the problem has been worked out. I've used a cleaning rod to clean my musket and it hasn't gotten stuck in over 20 years. Not a period cleaning rod but it does the job and doesn't get stuck.

But, something I've found that works if the cone is what is stuck and the threads are exposed at the top of the barrel and this solution is kind of like putting the handle on. Drill a ramrod diameter hole in a piece of shelving thickness board. Put that on the exposed ramrod and then screw a tool or ordinary nut that fits the threads on the end. Then tap the board away from the stuck portion with a hammer. This won't move the rammer much with each tap but you will notice progress until eventually the whole thing comes out. I've tried (and seen others do it) the tug of war and have never seen it succeed. If the tool is stuck, a slot cut in the board would allow it to slip around the rammer to give you something to tap.

Michael Mescher
    Michael Mescher
    visit us at:
    Ragged Soldier Sutlery
    www.raggedsoldier.com

I have a bench vise in my cellar. When I've had a stuck rammer, I've had to tighten it on the vise and engage in a tug of war with the musket. The tough parts are a) getting enough leverage and b) not messing up the treads on your rammer.
    The last thing I'm thinking about when I had a stuck rammer is a period solution! I just want to be able to finish cleaning the gun!
    Rob Weaver
    Pine River Boys, Co I, 7th Wisconsin
    "We're... Christians, what read the Bible and foller what it says about lovin' your enemies and carin' for them what despitefully use you -- that is, after you've downed 'em good and hard."
    -Si Klegg and His Pard Shorty

You can always try a ramrod puller tool as seen here. http://jas-townsend.com/product_info...roducts_id=176 There are several different models on the market out there. A google search will find them for you.