Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Safety record of reenactors using authentic-style cartridges?

Default Safety record of reenactors using authentic-style cartridges?

Hi all,

How long has the reenacting community been using authentic-style .58 Minnie cartridges such as the 1855 and 1862 style?

Have there been any safety concerns or accidents concerning their use?

Thanks in advance,

Steve
    Steve Sheldon

Quote Originally Posted by maillemaker View Post
    Hi all,

How long has the reenacting community been using authentic-style .58 Minnie cartridges such as the 1855 and 1862 style?

Thanks in advance,

Steve
    Steve,

I've been using more, or less, authentic cartridges for twenty-five years. You tear off the tail and pour the powder down the barrel. No harm, no foul.

What are you concerned about? The fake toilet paper bullet going down the barrel?
    Bill Rodman, If you need a really bad example.
    King of Prussia, PA
    wrodman1@aol.com

Ditto to Bill's statement. They are the same as using the cheap paper tubes available from many vendors or made at home. In fact, I've found authentic replicated rounds are actually safer than using some of the "Paper Lady" type tubes, because those are often too thin and can easily slide out of the hand and down the barrel, where as rounds made to correct dimensions are harder to fall down the barrel. I've also rammed and fired at select events and living history with no issues either.
    Ross L. Lamoreaux
    Tampa Bay History Center
    www.tampabayhistorycenter.org
    On Facebook at: Tampa Bay History Center Living History Programs

"The simplest things, done well, can carry a huge impact" - Karin Timour, 2012

Again I agreed. Been using them proper size, and with the powder inner tube. Stronger, and will not slide down the barrel by mistake. And at living histories used the outer tube with the simulated bullet rammed home, with no problems.

What he said (Bill & everbody). Well, not the part about using them for 25 years because I rarely shoot, but I haven't heard any safety concerns over the last 20+ years. I remember when "no penny wrappers" and "no staples" was common in event rules, or cartridges were required so the powder would be pre-measured rather than poured straight from a flask into the barrel. General consensus seems to be that the authentic kind are safest.

Hank Trent
    hanktrent@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by maillemaker View Post
    Hi all,

Thanks in advance,

Steve
    Most 'enactors are lazy and stupid. If you showed an average guy at a reenactment a properly recreated cartridge they would look at you like you had lobsters crawling from your ears.

I have never heard of an injury at an event with high standards that requires properly constructed rounds. It is the yahoos using newspaper and coin wrappers than are too dense or obtuse to be safe.
    Your Obedient Servant,

Peter M. Berezuk

Proud Member of...
    69th NYSV Historical Association - USMC Historical Company - Washington Guard

Builder and Maintainer of the Ray Prosteen Memorial Event Calendar

Quote Originally Posted by hanktrent View Post
    What he said (Bill & everbody). Well, not the part about using them for 25 years because I rarely shoot, but I haven't heard any safety concerns over the last 20+ years. I remember when "no penny wrappers" and "no staples" was common in event rules, or cartridges were required so the powder would be pre-measured rather than poured straight from a flask into the barrel. General consensus seems to be that the authentic kind are safest.

Hank Trent
    hanktrent@gmail.com
    I remember the days of penny wrappers and staples quite well. No tins and stuffing 100s of rounds in those things. Also no limit on the powder used. Some of those weapons sounded like cannons!! Ramrods in use too now and then. Got cut from a flying staple once.

I still see at events, that have rules stating no penny rolls or staples. At some places orders are given before the start of the battle to "parade load", which is to double load and ram. And yes even to load and ram the paper. It looks like a ticker tape parade when firing by files, or worse by company or batalion. Horible idea who ever thought it up. And it's done at many places.
    Cris Westphal
    Civil War Reenactor

I got a paper cut on my lip once....

Never had a problem or seen an issue as far a cartridges go. As long as the guy who is handling that cartridge knows what he is doing, no issue.
    Micah Trent
    2nd Most Hated Reenactor in Kentucky - Western Federal Blues
    Friends of Perryville Battlefield State Historic Site

That's great information, thanks!

Steve
    Steve Sheldon