Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Printable arsenal pack labels?

This should answer all your question......
    http://www.sullivanpress.com/CartridgeLabels.html

Take care Pard.....
    Thank you so much for that reference. I have purchased the book that has those illustrations from Amazon for a mere $4. I hope to create some high-quality reproductions that people can print and use.

I have found links to pictures of repro labels (see above) but nothing of high enough quality to print and use.

Steve
    Steve Sheldon

Here's a few pack labels. As mentioned earlier, some of these were actually printed on the wrapping paper instead of being pasted.

The British Enfield wrapper label is an original. For imported English cartridge packs, which would have the stamped label on the wrapper, you can't get more authentic than this. It's sideways in the image because of the way I get it to print on the correct spot on the paper sheet from my printer. Printing it from an inkjet modern printer isn't perfectly authentic, but it's passable.

The other labels I made myself, based as closely as possible on originals. You will recognize them immediately, since pictures of the originals these were based on have been linked to already in this thread. If you print them out on cheap paper (use newsprint or something other than shockingly bright white office paper), cut them out crudely with scissors, and use a period pen and period ink to hand-write the dates, these labels answer satisfactorily.

Arsenal pack labels have been a source of endless controversy. Many of them (especially the ones that pop up first on Google searches) are just... awful. The best way to avoid the controversy is don't use arsenal pack labels, especially for Federal cartridges. You're safe using the wrapper-printed labels for imported English cartridges, and safer using labels for Confederate Enfield-type cartridge packs.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Brett Gibbons
    3rd Regt. C.S. Engineers, Co. E
    www.hartsengineers.com

Hi Brett!

I'm assuming that the label that mentions the "wood plug" is for Enfield-style cartridges.

Are the other two labels appropriate for .58 Minnie cartridges?

Steve
    Steve Sheldon

Yes, the 1863 label with wood plug is for English cartridges, Enfield pattern.

Actually, the other two labels are also for Enfield-type cartridges. I'll dig around and see if I have anything for regular .58-cal US style cartridges.
    Brett Gibbons
    3rd Regt. C.S. Engineers, Co. E
    www.hartsengineers.com

so noone have any info on arkansas cartrides?
    “We may be annihilated, but we cannot be conquered.”
    General Albert Sidney Johnston, CSA, in accepting his command rank, August, 1861.

Here are some that I made up about 20 years ago. They are based on originals, but I won't claim that they are exact reproductions. I had an Eley Enfield wrapper marking, but I can't find that one now. It went excellently with Brett's cartridge tubes!

Geoff Walden

Last edited by Enfield577; 09-18-2012 at 01:14 PM. Reason: fix image links

I don't see any links, Geoff. Looking forward to seeing them, though!

Steve
    Steve Sheldon

Another note on these labels.

Arsenal labels were printed. The examples show on page 1 of the replies, for the most part, were hand-drawn and drafted in the 1970s when the only real way to reproduce the labels was to literally reproduce them, i.e., to set the type in the correct fonts and print them. So technically, though many of these labels are nice, and have been around reenacting for 40 years, they are hand-drawn re-creations of labels. You would do better to get the fonts the artists were trying to mimic 40 years ago and typing them out on the computer. And then there's the question of using accurate fonts when reproducing the labels. No offense to all the valiant efforts shown here, but to people like me, creating any sort of paperwork with inaccurate fonts is like people making shell jackets from polyester.

Some people are stitch counters. I'm a Picky Pica Printer.
    Cordially,

Bob Sullivan
    Sullivan Press
    Visit our redesigned website: www.sullivanpress.com
    Reproducing Books, Documents and Stationery since 1989

If the label specifically mentions "Enfield" is it safe to assume that the cartridges are of the Enfield style and not the .58 Minnie style?

Steve
    Steve Sheldon

mr. s
    there aint nuthin thar...