Thread: Battle Flag Of The 7th Florida Infantry?

Default Battle Flag Of The 7th Florida Infantry?

Does anyone know if a battle flag of the 7th Florida Infantry still exists? Or has anyone ever seen a picture of one? My ancestor served in the regiment for the entire war and I'd like to replicate the flag. I've seen pictures of the one for the 6th and 8th but not the 7th. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Calen Smith
    Florida

Calen, that is one of life's great questions. One is said to exist in private hands (passed down from a color sergeant in the regiment) but hasn't been seen in years. This flag was photographed a very long time ago, and was an AoT rectangular battleflag identical in every way to the one of the 6th Florida in Tallahassee. This conforms with information gathered that they were made and issued at the same time. There is also speculation that they at one time had a Hardee battleflag while in Georgia in '64, but I've never been able to find anything concrete. I know that when I was portraying Co K from Hillsborough County, we utilized the "known" one, the rectangular flag. I know of a couple people who have more than I do with research one of whom ( David Glenn) lives in the Tampa Bay area. I'll look for his email address and pass that on to you, as I know he is writing a book on Florida flags.
    Ross L. Lamoreaux
    Tampa Bay History Center
    www.tampabayhistorycenter.org
    On Facebook at: Tampa Bay History Center Living History Programs

"The simplest things, done well, can carry a huge impact" - Karin Timour, 2012

Thanks Ross! I figured you'd chime in! I sure wish the one in private hands would surface. And that is very interesting regarding the Hardee pattern flag. I'd very much appreciate Mr. Glenn's contact information.
    Thanks!
    -Calen Smith

Try the Florida Department of Archives
    "At exactly 1 o'clock by my watch, the two signal guns of the Washington Artillery were heard. In another minute every gun was at work." Porter Alexander, July 3rd 1863

Quote Originally Posted by captain_kirk View Post
    Try the Florida Department of Archives
    There is no Florida Department of Archives, if you try to find them by that name, but there is a State of Florida Archives, found under the Department of State, with a website under the Library and Information Services Department. They have no flags of the 7th and only have the information previously posted that the flags of the 6th and 7th regiments of infantry were made and issued at the same time. That is only one of the flags, as there is the possibility of at least one or two others of unknown type issued during its service from 1862 to 1865
    Ross Lamoreaux
    Moderator and Sewer of Historical Clothing and Tall Tales

"But our opportunity to learn and grow, to communicate the richness of the lives that have gone before us, that does not change. We do not outgrow it. It does not tatter and fall apart in our hands..." -Mrs. Terre Lawson, 2010