Thread: Chamberlain's Salute at Appomatox

Default Chamberlain's Salute at Appomatox

I read about the salute from Union General Joshua Chamberlain to the Confederate soldiers surrendering at Appomattox. Not sure I understood how it was achieved. I have a good understanding of modern military drill, and specifically the position of "Present Arms" ..but according to the historical record, Chamberlain ordered his unit to something other than "Present Arms" . Was there some form of honorific salute that was short of "present arms" during the Civil War?

Chamberlain mentions in his autobiography that he ordered the men to "carry arms", which is basically shouldering their arms. This is considered a salute in that the men were brought to attention and maintained their martial bearing by elevating arms. This has been argued by historians for decades as not a "true salute" but for a soldier commanding men accepting the surrender of a conquered foe, I believe Chamberlain's intent was to salute the men of the south without breaking protocol of actually presenting arms in a salute. By maintaining the position of the soldier (at attention elevating arms), that was his small way of showing respect. Other's opinions vary, but that is a logical argument in many's eyes.
    Ross L. Lamoreaux
    Tampa Bay History Center
    www.tampabayhistorycenter.org
    On Facebook at: Tampa Bay History Center Living History Programs

"The simplest things, done well, can carry a huge impact" - Karin Timour, 2012

As a side note, remember that coming to "carry arms" is the salute that troops on parade under arms should render to reviewing officers. Not "eyes right/left."
    Marc A. Hermann.
    The Daybreak B'hoys.
    Liberty Rifles - Hardtack Society.
    Oliver Tilden Camp No. 26, SUVCW.

Descendant of Pvt. E. Hermann, 45th PA Militia - Capt. Wm. K. and Lt. Geo. W. Hopkins, 7th PA Reserves - Pvt. Jos. A. Weckerly, 72nd PA Infantry - Pvt. Thos. Will, 21st PA Cavalry.

not sure I yet understand. Modern military command is "port arms" where soldiers are directed to hold their weapons in front of them... never understood this to be an honorific. What exactly is a soldier to do when given a command of "carry arms"?

Guess another question is why did it drop from the modern drill?

In SCOTT'S "Carry Arms" was the command to go from "Rest" back to "Shoulder Arms". It's essentially coming more formally to "Attention" and hence a mark of respect. Here it would seem to be going from "Order Arms" to "Shoulder Arms", again a small sign of respect.

I found this online, from the 1901 Boston Journal:

"At such a time and under such conditions I thought it eminently fitting to show some token of our feeling, and I therefore instructed my subordinate officers to come to the position of 'salute' in the manual of arms as each body of the Confederates passed before us.
    "It was not a 'present arms,' however, not a 'present,' which then as now was the highest possible honor to be paid even to a president. It was the 'carry arms,' as it was then known, with musket held by the right hand and perpendicular to the shoulder. I may best describe it as a marching salute in review.