Thread: A Private Looks forward to Vicksburg/Raymond Event

Default A Private Looks forward to Vicksburg/Raymond Event

Dear Fellers,
    As a veteran of Brice's Crossroads a few years ago, I look at the Vicksburg event and wonder. It appears to be quite shy of Yankees. Are you taking French leave on this one or just last in registering? Just curious, fellers.
    all for the old flag,
    David Corbett

everyone has been slow in registering for this event for some reason...we know they are coming but they just haven't gotten around to registering yet.....September 20 deadline is fast approaching. posted some pics of the event site today on the 150th Vicksburg facebook event page
    Mark Way
    Chief of Staff
    Cleburne's Division
    www.cleburnes-division.com
    150th Anniversary Battle of Farmington/Corinth - September 2012
    www.battleoffarmington.com
    150th Anniversary Battle of Vicksburg/Raymond - October 2012
    www.friendsofraymond.org
    150th Anniversary Battle of Gettysburg - June 27-30, 2013
    www.bluegraygettysburg.com
    150th Anniversary Battle of Chickamauga September 2013
    www.150thanniversarychickamauga.com
    Blue Gray Alliance member

I'm looking forward to going. But for me, life with my wife's condition has kept me from registering. I can tell you the number of events I have payed for and cancelled over this. Been going to some small mainstream ones, but I miss the better events. This should be one not to miss in my opinion, as is Maryland my Maryland and Perryville this year. I am all for BGA Gettysburg and Chickamauga. Even if some of my pards are not going. I blame the economy for most of the problems with registrations and such. I know I and others are hurting.

After all this rabbling I might still register, even if I can't go. I guess the money can help the BGA make ends meet, which is always a struggle.

Are there any force ratios policies in place for this event?

Weldon Svoboda

For alot of great information about this event, check out this information packet;

http://www.friendsofraymond.org/Reenactor_info.pdf

Dear Sir,
    Detailed information indeed but the question of who,what,which, Federal units still unknown save for the 16th LA/12th CT.
    all for the old flag,
    David Corbett

Checked the event web page yesterday. Each battle now has a color moving graphic.
    "At exactly 1 o'clock by my watch, the two signal guns of the Washington Artillery were heard. In another minute every gun was at work." Porter Alexander, July 3rd 1863

Quote Originally Posted by Jubilo View Post
    Dear Sir,
    Detailed information indeed but the question of who,what,which, Federal units still unknown save for the 16th LA/12th CT.
    all for the old flag,
    David Corbett
    My Favorite Yankee Friend,

Drilling down deep in that web page, I find Federals listed from Muddy River, Frontier, First Federal, Division Cavalry Brigade, Army of the Ohio........well I quit at that point.

Yes, we know there's not enough. Yes, plans are in place to galvanize.

It's a heavy month. We knew that when we planned it three years ago. It is what it is. But gracious, I was three years younger when I committed to 15 days in the field in October, including school programs. Lawsy.
    Mrs. Lawson
    Weaver, Spinster, Strong Fast Dyes
    Knitted Goods and yarns available thlawson@bellsouth.net

Moderator, When I remember. We got Rules here!

Did your sales post disappear? Try again. But read the rules first.
    Here they are: http://www.cwreenactors.com/forum/sh...Classified-Ads

Dear Fellers,
    This event is begining to resemble "The Emperor's New Clothes." There is little said about what is happening!

Federal infantry are outnumbered 5-2. some plans are to have Confederates galvinize. So who is galvinizing?

The Tishomingo Avengers? ... Not likely.

So who is? There is not a single Federal Artillery unit registered!!!!

I'd like this to be a successful event but the dearth of information is disheartening. Perhaps future B-G events should be seriously reconsidered? Perryville is obviously the preferred event for this autumn.

all for the old flag,
    David Corbett

No need to worry about lop sided battles and the such. We have been monitoring the registrations and having conversations with confederate organizations that will be in attendance about the galvanizing schedule. The infantry ratio is around 2 to 1 at the moment which is not that far removed from normal deep south events that are short on federals. In effort to keep one organization from having to galvanize all weekend we are working out a rotation schedule to ensure things run smoothly. This event will be Twin Rivers size and should be an event full of good scenarios and great memories. The works for the Vicksburg Battle on Sunday have been constructed in fine fashion and plans are to pile the federal wounded and "trapped" in front of the works. The Friends of Raymond have recreated some of the most authentic earthworks I have ever seen. Though I do not know the correct terminology right this minute, the "ditch" in front of the works is formidable and those federals who made it to this point in the original battle became trapped in the "ditch", a feat that will not be hard to recreate. I don't think I could crawl out of this recreated "ditch" myself. The ground is good, the amenities are being well taken care of by Roger Hansen and the Friends of Raymond and I am personally looking forward to a weekend full of fighting, since I am finally getting the chance to serve in my reenacting capacity and not chase water until 2 in the morning.

October, as Mrs. Lawson stated, is a busy month this year so I think the fine, and I do mean all of the fine events (perryville, westville, beauvoir, vicksburg/raymond) packed into this month will all get their share, however scaled down, of attendance from folks and turn out to all be successful events.
    Mark Way
    Chief of Staff
    Cleburne's Division
    www.cleburnes-division.com
    150th Anniversary Battle of Farmington/Corinth - September 2012
    www.battleoffarmington.com
    150th Anniversary Battle of Vicksburg/Raymond - October 2012
    www.friendsofraymond.org
    150th Anniversary Battle of Gettysburg - June 27-30, 2013
    www.bluegraygettysburg.com
    150th Anniversary Battle of Chickamauga September 2013
    www.150thanniversarychickamauga.com