Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Civil war modern day bands

Thanks to all for the suggesitons and to Slowfoot for the station.. That is just what the doctor ordered.
    Rob Frost
    4th Indiana Light Artillery

wow, thanks for the link, Spinster
    like this a lot

___
    moderator note: URL removed.
    Last edited by Spinster; 09-12-2012 at 06:42 PM.

Default New Band suggestions

If I may modestly suggest my own group, The Libby Prison Minstrels. 5 piece string based with 3 part harmonies. Northern and Sourthern songs, lots of old timey tunes and a strong foundation in Irish related songs and tunes. We have played a pile of great locales. We have stuff on Youtube and can be found online. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyMike View Post
    If I may modestly suggest my own group, The Libby Prison Minstrels. 5 piece string based with 3 part harmonies. Northern and Sourthern songs, lots of old timey tunes and a strong foundation in Irish related songs and tunes. We have played a pile of great locales. We have stuff on Youtube and can be found online. Thanks
    I looked at some of your photos and videos. Looks interesting. What are the strings on your string instruments made of?

Eric Marten

Just curious, because I know gut strings for string basses can be quite expensive.

Eric Marten

Did the minstrel group you model yourselves after use string bass? BTW, Pirastro Chorda strings, Dlugolecki, and Aquila are excellent makers of period correct gut strings. Are there any other brands you are familiar with? Which do you use?

Eric Marten

Boston Catlines, varnished.

Ah, yes, I forgot about that brand. That was one of the first American makers, if I recall. There are so many makers of traditional gut strings, (and silk gut combos for guitars), that it is no problem getting them now, and they're reasonably priced. No excuse anymore for using plastic/nylon/steel strings for CW reenactments.

Do you have any info on the original Libby Prison Minstrels you model yourselves after, as mentioned on your stuff on YouTube and your website? Did they use 3/4 String Bass or full size?

Eric Marten

JerseyMike: Really curious about the repertoire of the original Libby Prison Minstrels and their instruments. Did they really play many old timey tunes? Were they able to keep and maintain a full size Bass in prison? Where did they and you, get appropriate gut strings?

Eric Marten