Thread: bugles

Default bugles

What bugle is currently available (from where) that is reasonably close to an ACW infantry bugle?

A decently priced model that would need some de-farbing is the Amati. You can find it on the Woodwind & Brasswind catalogue. Best way to de-farb it is to remove the lacquer...and they pile it on! This is popular among buglers as it's built for performance (i.e. sounds pretty). All brass with tunable lead pipe/receiver.

For the authentic, there are a number. Naumann is great if you can find one. Another is Jan Berger, lederarsenal.com. You can also find him on the forums here and AC. Museum quality, and the sound is more accurate to a signal instrument, which is what bugles were used for. It comes in C, with pigtail to Bb. Copper with Brass fittings and garland. They're in demand.

Other suggestions/examples may be found through RJ Samp or Jari Villanueva (tapsbugler.com).

The Authentic Campainger website has an announcement by Jan Berger (of the Leder Arsenal-Germany) that he will soon have for sale a limited run of copper bugles. Jan's reproductions are the same (in dimensions, features and materials) as bugles produced by northern manufacturerers for U.S. infantry/sharpshooter service during the Civil War. Jan does regular business with U.S. customers. This bugle would do 'good service' for any infantry-sharpshooter company looking to outfit their bugler with an authentic looking and playing instrument.

Quote:

Comrades. A new run of US issue bugles with dovetail seams is coming in soon. The price per bugle is 198 Euro shipping cost is either 30 Euro small parcel ( less padding space but has worked fine in the past) or large parcel 54 Euro plus Paypal fees. Please check out Paypal's currency converter to find out the price in US$, the rates change daily. If you are interested let me know please so I put you on my list.

The AC website also shows pictures of the 'C' bugle with 'pig tail crook' to enable it play in Bb: http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/for ... per-bugles

Bill Skillman
    Hudson Squad Mess-USSS

Quote Originally Posted by NM1859 View Post
    The Authentic Campainger website has an announcement by Jan Berger (of the Leder Arsenal-Germany) that he will soon have for sale a limited run of copper bugles. Jan's reproductions are the same (in dimensions, features and materials) as bugles produced by northern manufacturerers for U.S. infantry/sharpshooter service during the Civil War. Jan does regular business with U.S. customers. This bugle would do 'good service' for any infantry-sharpshooter company looking to outfit their bugler with an authentic looking and playing instrument.

Quote:

Comrades. A new run of US issue bugles with dovetail seams is coming in soon. The price per bugle is 198 Euro shipping cost is either 30 Euro small parcel ( less padding space but has worked fine in the past) or large parcel 54 Euro plus Paypal fees. Please check out Paypal's currency converter to find out the price in US$, the rates change daily. If you are interested let me know please so I put you on my list.

The AC website also shows pictures of the 'C' bugle with 'pig tail crook' to enable it play in Bb: http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/for ... per-bugles

Bill Skillman
    Hudson Squad Mess-USSS
    A quick perusal of recent posts shows that Jan himself has already posted on this forum at the following thread: http://www.cwreenactors.com/forum/sh...coming-in-soon
    Ross Lamoreaux
    Moderator and Sewer of Historical Clothing and Tall Tales

"But our opportunity to learn and grow, to communicate the richness of the lives that have gone before us, that does not change. We do not outgrow it. It does not tatter and fall apart in our hands..." -Mrs. Terre Lawson, 2010

Comrades, the bugles are in stock. Get one while they are.