Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Morgan's Raid 150th

Default Morgan's Raid 150th

I was asked to pass this along:

The Buffington Island Battlefield Preservation Foundation would like to invite you to attend our Morgan150 event on July 19, 20, 21, 2013. We are commemorating the Sesquicentennial of Confederate General John Hunt Morganís 1863 raid through southern Ohio. It will take place in Meigs County, Ohio and will involve Cavalry, Infantry, and Artillery units in a few tactical situations along the path of the historic John Hunt Morgan Heritage Trail. After successful events in 2003 and 2006, this event will be one you and your unit will not want to miss. We are planning on having 100 Confederate and Union Cavalry, and matching them with 100 Confederate and Union Infantry in several tactical skirmishes, as well as several battle scenarios for the public. We would also like to invite Union and Confederate artillery units to participate as well. It is a three day event that will see the Cavalry units follow the original path that Gen. Morgan rode in 1863. Both Cavalry columns will encounter infantry units along the way much as in 1863. The Raid will start at the Meigs County Fairgrounds on Friday, July 19, 2013, where there will be encampments Thursday evening. Then Friday they will head to the historic town of Chester, encamp there, then on Saturday, onto Bashan, encamp there, and then Sunday onto Buffington Island, Ohioís only Civil War battlefield, for a closing battle and to rededicate the State Memorial there. This event will offer very unique tactical situations for all units. A Morgan Seminar is being planned and will run concurrent with this event nearby. The usual amenities will be provided. Please consider bringing your unit to Meigs County and enjoy the same view shed from 1863. This event is a listed event with the Ohio Historical Society as a Ohio 150 Project. Please feel free to visit our website at www.morgan150.com. Or for more information, or registration information, please email us at info@morgan150.com. Or follow us on our Facebook page at Buffington Island Battlefield Preservation Foundation, or on Twitter at @Morgan150. We are looking forward to attending our event and have an experience of a lifetime.

As long as we don't have to ride those tarmac rodes for mile after mile.....really took a toll on our equine friends.

Only one more hill!
    RJ Samp
    Horniste! Blas das Signal zum Angriffe!
    "But in the end, it's the history, stupid. If you can't document it, forget about it. And no amount of 'tomfoolery' can explain away conduct that in the end makes history (and living historians) look stupid and wrong. "

Oh how I miss that event, it brings back a lot of memories.
    Tyler Underwood
    Pawleys Island, #409 AFM
    Governor Guards
    SCAR, WIG
    www.scareenactors.com
    www.westernindependentgrays.org
    www.governorguards.com

yeah "one more hill"...which turned into another..then another..then three more would be good to take more dirt roads ! but the thing that leaps out at me is the dates..sure was nice doing them in september..I wouldnt bet that so. Ohio is any cooler than Verginny in july tho!
    pvt Gary Mitchell
    2nd Va Cavalry Co. C
    Stuart's Horse Artillery

I liked those "Cavalry Camp .7 miles ahead" signs along the river.....there were like 4 of those.....when we finally got to the actual camp, we were the 2nd to the last camp!!! enjoyed the beer ration after a 25 mile ride (we went 'around the horn' for the first school battle that required a 5 mile flanking march).....
    RJ Samp
    "But in the end, it's the history, stupid. If you can't document it, forget about it. And no amount of 'tomfoolery' can explain away conduct that in the end makes history (and living historians) look stupid and wrong. "

Is this going to conflict with the BGA's 150th Chickamagua?

I had missed out on the last Morgan's Raid event in 2006, but my unit (the 1st TN) had galvanized as Federal militia for it--and they've got quite the stories. Being infantry, they're kinda limited, but I hear they gave you cavalry guys quite the run for the money. I'm looking forward to participating in this next one.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleJohn View Post
    Is this going to conflict with the BGA's 150th Chickamagua?
    Not at all.....September 2013 for BGA Chickamauga is what I heard.....
    RJ Samp

Looks like the event has updated their website (http://morgan150.com) with more information. You'll want to register by April 1 to get in without charge.

who will be the overall federal commander for the event ? is sharp senior coming out for this one ? or is the 1st Tenn overall command of the federal infantry and militia ?

Edward Cupp

"We no longer have senators and congressmen who represent our interests. The great project of America has been hijacked by big corporations and the super rich."