Thread: 1862 ANV uniform question

Default 1862 ANV uniform question

Hey all

In anticipation for the 150th sharpsburg.. I was wondering what uniform is appropriate for ANV.. Wool frocks? Jean? I still would think this is considered early war so wool frocks are correct. Feedback appreciated.

Thanks

Peter Griebel

Default check out

S. Chris Anders
    Southern Division
    www.southerndivision.org
    http://www.civilwarhenrico.com/

There is nothing more difficult to take in hand, more perilous to conduct, or more uncertain in its success, than to take the lead in the introduction of a new order of things. - Niccoló Machiavelli, The Prince. 1537.

The Southern Division link has to be the most succint, consise, and informational article I have read on what to wear and how your impression SHOULD look for an officer. From head to toe the impression is discussed in a manner any one can understand and should be required reading for those officers taking the field.

Well done!

Thanks!
    Jas. T. Lemon
    Captain, 50th Va. Co. D

Perfect.. Thank all

Peter griebel

It all depends on the time and place. I've seen in some 1862 QM records some units were getting 4 or 5 types of "Jackets" and "Coats" or "Uniform Coats" at the same time. Some South Carolina units were still getting a few blue coats! This doesn't even count the homemade jackets, coats, overcoats, ect. coming from home. North Carolina did a pretty good job of getting state made clothing to their men, as well as Georgia.

Will MacDonald

The commutation system was still in effect as of 1862 so there were a plethora of uniforms in some units...Period diary entries and accounts from this time period point this out, including Fremantle's observations and the famous quote "No two were dressed alike." Lastly, all one has to do is view the period photgraphs taken of Starke's Lousiana Brigade members lying dead on the Hagerstown Turnpike....

Excellent Info.. I am enlisted tho and not an officer. But I think the information was top notch. I guess i was also looking for information as to whether a wool..trimmed frock w/ state buttons was appropriate. I usually Find myself using an untrimmed Jean Frock as that is a uniform item that would have seen use until wars end.

Pete Griebel

Default 1862

In answer to your question, if you look carefully at the Hagerstown Turnpike photos you will see a deceased soldier wearing a light colored frock coat with tape trim, as well as variuos shell jackets and what even appears to be a sack coat...