Thread: ALABAMA SB519 SEEKS TO CUT FUNDING for Confederate Memorial Park

North East Alabama, between Birmingham and Atlanta

Default ALABAMA SB519 SEEKS TO CUT FUNDING for Confederate Memorial Park

Just when you thought it was safe, another bill to cut funding to the site of Alabama's only Confederate Veteran's Home has hit the Alabama Senate floor. Confederate Park only receives 1% of approximately $54 million raised from the millage passed to Support Confederate Veterans. 99% goes to two other entities that have nothing to do with Confederate veterans.
    Contact the senators on the attached lits to voice opposition to this travesty.
    http://www.legislature.state.al.us/s...ter_alpha.html

Sent this e-mail to the Committee Members, received the below response from Sen. Cam Ward:

Gentlemen,

I learned today of another attempt to partially defund the Confederate Memorial Park in Marbury.

I am not sure what the motivation behind an attempt to take State Funds from a State Park, and redirect them to an entity not funded by the State might be. Maybe one of you can help me understand.

I hope that you will work to kill this bill in Committee. CMP is a very important site in Central Alabama working on a skeleton budget as it is. Recently improvements have made it a place where friends of mine from all over the country have made plans to visit and have done so; often only stopping to see the Museum there, topping off their tanks, and getting a bite to eat instead of driving right on through this area without stopping.

Those brown signs on the interstate encourage hsitory buffs to almost instinctively put their blinker on, and exit the interstate to go see what is to see. Many tell me they don't want to fight the bustle of downtown Montgomery, so the park is a great place to take a break, and view some extrodinary historical items.

Please leave the funding for Confederate Memorial Park in place. Surely there is $150,000 somewhere that can be used to help the First White House.

National organizations like the Civil War Trust often get involved in helping to secure funding for endangered Civil War sites. Maybe whoever is asking for the State Funding for the White House should contact them. Their website is http://www.civilwar.org/

Thank you for your time, and service to our State!

Respectfully,

Galen Wagner,
    Montgomery, AL

Response from One Committee Member:

Galen, I am going to fight this tooth and nail

Respectfully,

Cam Ward
    State Senator
    P.O. Box 1749
    Alabaster, Al. 35007
    Galen Wagner
    Yellowhammer Rifles
    Past Master, Oak Park # 864 F&AM
    Montgomery, AL

Well Galen, I sure hope I get a similar answer to my missive sent earlier this morning.

Dear Senator Bedford,

I'm a registered voter in your district. Years ago we shared a podium as you spoke for the Tuscaloosa Civitans Citizen of the Year Award.

I'm asking that you vote against SB 519, which cuts funding for Confederate Memorial Park.

This fine site/museum continues to attract Civil War scholars from out of state, with it's innovative view of the Civil War and it's aftermath in the Deep South. It's focus on the common soldier has much to teach us today as we honor and aid our current veterans. I'm currently working with a group from the north that will include CMP as its only stop in Alabama, in a larger museum tour of the Deep South.

While the First White House of the Confederacy is a worthy site, it's focus is on the upper class of the Deep South. It is rare to see a museum like Confederate Memorial Park that focuses on the common soldier.

Let's don't close this unique site by playing politics with it. Continued focused assaults on this site by factions within the legislature are tiresome and time consuming. I'm stopping to write in the midst of a busy day---preparing for three days of volunteer and school programs at CMP

Kind Regards,

T H Lawson
    Sent from my iPhone
    Mrs. Lawson
    Weaver, Spinster, Strong Fast Dyes
    Knitted Goods and yarns available thlawson@bellsouth.net

Moderator, When I remember. We got Rules here!

Did your sales post disappear? Try again. But read the rules first.
    Here they are: http://www.cwreenactors.com/forum/sh...Classified-Ads

Great letter Ms. Lawson.
    Galen Wagner
    Yellowhammer Rifles
    Montgomery, AL

Defeated in Committee yesterday.

Messae from Bill:

Defenders of the memory of Alabama's Confederate soldiers and their families,

By the grace of God, you have done it again! SB-519 has been stopped in committee!
    There are ten legislative days left so I reluctantly ask that you keep your powder dry for a little while longer, but as of today CMP is secure despite two attempts in the House and one in the Senate to do it great harm.

God bless you,

Bill
    Galen Wagner
    Yellowhammer Rifles
    Montgomery, AL

Default Cuts

Alabama do not Cut funding. I'm from ours twin state Mississippi and we always find ways to keep funding for our Confederate and Southern Heritage

Yes Galen- a momentary breather.

Of course, the Legislature is in session another 10 days.............
    Mrs. Lawson
    Weaver, Spinster, Strong Fast Dyes
    Knitted Goods and yarns available thlawson@bellsouth.net

Moderator, When I remember. We got Rules here!

Did your sales post disappear? Try again. But read the rules first.
    Here they are: http://www.cwreenactors.com/forum/sh...Classified-Ads

Three cheers for those who called their Senators and for those right-thinking Senators who have the vision and foresight to know that CMP should remain fully operational and funded. It is an important part of our heritage and, as a bonus, a wonderful tourist draw.
    A. Redd

Quote Originally Posted by gwagner View Post
    Defeated in Committee yesterday.

Messae from Bill:

Defenders of the memory of Alabama's Confederate soldiers and their families,

By the grace of God, you have done it again! SB-519 has been stopped in committee!
    There are ten legislative days left so I reluctantly ask that you keep your powder dry for a little while longer, but as of today CMP is secure despite two attempts in the House and one in the Senate to do it great harm.

God bless you,

Bill
    Andy Redd