Thread: Union newbie looking for a New york regiment

Frugm Guest

Default Union newbie looking for a New york regiment

Hey there,

totally new to this reenactment business looking to start out. I live upstate NY, Elmira/Corning area. Anyone know of regiments around there? or general advice would be great!

Thanks!

Simon

There are several in the area, all along the reenacting authenticity spectrum. Knowing what you'd like to get out / put into the hobby would help in finding a good fitting unit.

Frugm Guest

Ok well, I'm 32 years old. I'm actually English, but I have read that a number of English served through the war.

I've always been interested in military history, and to be honest I don't really know what is expected of a recruit. I have every other weekend off of work, but would love to get into all the kinds of soldiering, from full on reenactments to drills, camping out and the such.

I'm still learning researching the way of life of a 1860's soldier. I'm currently researching 107th New York Volunteer Regiment "The Campbell Guards"

I guess I would like some information on how to get started and how I can do to help a regiment.

Sorry for my confusing post, if you have any questions or can offer any advice would appreciate it greatly.

Simon

If you're interested in a progressive impression and willing to travel to Rochester, please take a look at our website, guidelines, etc. http://www.140thny.org

There is an event in a few weeks in Elmira, May 5-6. That will be a good opportunity for you to meet some units local to your area.

Tim Bills
    140th NYVI

Frugm Guest

I shall check you guys out at the 104th. I actually lived in Rochester for 6 years. I'm waiting for the camp Rathbun weekend with baited breath. Particularly as that's where the 107th were mustered before marching of to Washington.

Hi
    We are the 137th NYVI, we have members from the Elmira, Ithaca and Binghamton areas. We will be at the Elmira event May 5-6. Some of us will be setting up on Thursday evening for history day on Friday. Hope to see you at the event.
    Larry
    137th NY
    Larry @ 137th NY

The Living History Giuld is based in the Elmira area...authentic/campaigner unit. I am with them and several other units both federal and confederate. If you are interested in a campaign style of reenacting (read it in a book....then do it) send me a message. While I will not be reenacting in the "Hellmira" event I will be attending and would love to introduce you to other members of the LHG! If this is the style of reenacting you would like to try it would be better to get you into it now before you spend a lot of money on equipment you won't be using.
    Phil Guenther
    progressively authentic
    Hard Workin Pards
    the Columbia Rifles
    The Living History Guild

Not sure if you are able to make it to the "hellmira" event this weekend-if you can and want to meet send me an email fallstoomuch@yahoo.com
    Phil Guenther
    progressively authentic
    Hard Workin Pards
    the Columbia Rifles
    The Living History Guild

Hello Simon,

I'm Simon of the 28th NY (and also a fellow Englishman) based around western New York and the Finger Lakes region. Welcome to reenacting.

You've got a good number of reenacting units in the area to look at. Elmira/Corning is right in the middle of the areas of a number of groups, several of whom have already posted here. What group you're going to want to look at will very much depend on what you're looking to get out of reenacting. It has various "flavors" and one group is not necesarily like the next one, so I'd suggest you drop into Elmira this coming weekend and look at the options before you make a decision.

As well as the 136th NY, 137th NY and 140th NY, my group - the 28th NY - is based around your area as well and we try to have a catch all approach to reenacting where we have people with a variety of different impressions and levels to which they throw themselves into reenacting. The result is that we find ourselves working with a lot of different groups and a wide variety of events. If you're interested in looking into us, our website is www.28ny.com and - as with the 136th, 137th and 140th - will have people at Elmira this coming weekend.

Regarding the English in the Civil War, yeah their were a lot of them, but they mostly did too good a job of intigrating into their new country so you don't see any "English Regiments". However, they were there. In the 28th NY alone, I've found over 50 Englishmen (out of the 450 who we know where they were born).

Good luck in your search for the right unit for you and I look forward to coming across you at an event soon.

Simon
    Simon Taylor
    Comp E, 28th NY
    Rochester, NY