Thread: Release Date of the movie War Flowers

Question Release Date of the movie War Flowers

Does anyone know when or if the movie War Flowers will be released?

Hallo!

IIRC, it was supposed to be released March of 2011.

It was DVD released in December 2011 in Australia/New Zealand (Region 4 coding) only.

My suspicion is that it will NOT be a theatrical release much the same as was "Ride With the Devil," and will go eventually go directly into the DVD sales and rental market to try to recoup the losses.

Curt
    In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

Not a real Civil War reenactor, I only portray one on boards and fora.
    I do not portray a Civil War soldier, I merely interpret one.

I'm pretty sure you can find it on Amazon if you really want a copy.
    Eli Heagy
    187th PV

The 137th NY performed way, way better than the 20th Maine at Gettysburg. They just didn't have a self promoting blow hard of a Col. leading them.
    "I didn't do my homework when I was in school. And, you expect me to do yours for you? Not happening."

I doubt if it'll ever be relased. I was part of the shoot and last I heard they got kicked out of their studio in Allen park and are now somewhere in Detroit. I could be wrong and do hope it gets released one day.

Gambit
    Bill Hein

Pvt

Bledsoes Missouri battery.

I hate to be critical of someone else's hard work, but from watching the trailer, this movie sets CW movies back a few years. While it seems to do some things well...I liked the locations, ladies hairstyles, some set decoration, and other aspects.... the battle scenes look like a combination a BAD mainstream event, and terribly overdone special effects. Men being shot off their feet and doing near flips from small arms fire. There are also the shots of soldiers being sent up in the air, with arms flailing from artillery bursts. They even redo the scene from Gettysburg where the guy is blown into the air with only a musket in his hand...no accoutrements, no canteen, no haversack, nothing. If you watch G'berg, you'll see almost the same shot, but they not only use it once, but twice. Same guy, same shot. Compare these scenes to the opening battle scenes for Kevin Hershbergers, "Wicked Spring". IMHO, one of the best CW battle sequences EVER, no matter the budget. I wonder how much more they spent to get that overdone, flamboyant effect on "War Flowers"? I noticed there were some pretty good impressions amongst the obvious reenecator extras. But the primary actors all look like good actors with bad costumes. The exceptions would be Ms. Ricci's hair and clothing in some scenes, as well as the little girl. They did do some things well. Maybe the trailer just looks bad and the movie is better?? It's made mostly for the average viewer, not us, I realize that. I've said way too much, and like I said, I hate to criticize others hard work, but I think with the budget to hire famous actors, I think they could have done a little better on the smaller details. Same goes for Cold Mountain. Maybe I'm wrong, but why don't these production companies hire a few top knotch groups like (hate to mention names)the Liberty Rifles, amongst others? They could pay them a decent fee, and get top knotch extras as well as all the knowledge that they have to offer on the time period. But then again, I know personally, from working as an extra on "Andersonville" back in the 90's that they'd rather have guys off the street with no preconcieved ideas, than a bunch of "know-it-all" reenactors. Seems like what really happened is not as exciting, as the Hollywood version. Hope I didn't offend anyone in this rant.....

All the best,

D.W.(Trace)Scalf

Hallo!

Tis easier to make a donation to the Romanian Army...

Sigh.

Curt
    In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

Not a real Civil War reenactor, I only portray one on boards and fora.
    I do not portray a Civil War soldier, I merely interpret one.

Yeah....It's been a while since I saw Cold Mountain, but those Romanian boys looked pretty good, best I can remember.

DWS

Forget to mention the great work from the guys at Wide Awake Films. Top knotch living historians turned film makers. Wide Awake and LionHeart Films will get my money every time.

DWS