Thread: 6 ft Aframe question

Default 6 ft Aframe question

Hey all

I wanted to pickup a 6 ft A frame either small or Lg frm blockade runner and wanted to know if anyone here has seen or used one. They are smaller then the standard A frame which I have, is the 6x6x6 a decent size for one person.
    Appreciate the feedback.

Peter Griebel

pay a little extra for the sod cloth(s). you'll be glad you did. imho, go with issue size.
    Eli Heagy
    187th PV

We welcome any and all new members and visitors, come see us:

http://thecommonground.proboards.com/

Hey Eli, I have the regular size A frame.. I want something smaller / easier to tote around. And I'll def get the sod cloth, just wondering if anyone has seen the smallm6 ft A frame.

Pete Griebel

The Blockade Runner tent is a great product, one of the best. However, as with most tents it is not actually a perfect copy or size (go to search to find out correct measurements), but will do just fine and it's the one I'd buy and the ones we use. Tell Connie I sent you!

Harry
    Member 5th Texas Co. A/1st NC Artillery. Disabled Viet Nam veteran, 1970. I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4UcaLHaabY

Blockade Runner canvas and construction are excellent, given that there are variations on measurements from original issue.

For many years the 2 door common tent with sod was the recommended tentage for the Winston Free-State. The six foot is more portable, and more easily rigged to set up with no ridge pole and just two uprights rigged with stake out lines.

We found the six foot to have too little head clearance, but we are women trying to change dresses.
    Mrs. Lawson
    Weaver, Spinster, Strong Fast Dyes
    Knitted Goods and yarns available thlawson@bellsouth.net

Moderator, When I remember. We got Rules here!

Did your sales post disappear? Try again. But read the rules first.
    Here they are: http://www.cwreenactors.com/forum/sh...Classified-Ads

The QM specs for the common tent were as follows:

6' 10" high
    6' 10" long
    8' 4" wide

Why would you want a tent that's not, at least, close to these demensions?
    Bill Rodman, If you need a really bad example.
    King of Prussia, PA
    wrodman1@aol.com

Default Guys with small tents ...

I have slept many a night in a friend's Panther Primitive A-frame that is a littleshorter and narrower than standard, but it's 7 feet or so deeo, so I (5-10) have room to lie down. If you're short enough, a 6x6x6 would be ok, I guess. Especially for one-man use.

Bill Rodman, you're my tent-dimensions hero. And just so you know that your counsel does not always fall on deaf ears, I used your so-oft-posted QM specs for the common tent to purchase my second tent last year. I bought a new tent reasonably priced that was only an inch or two off of those dimensions, and I have used it now for 4 or 5 events.

The tent size is great for one person, and I have used it once for two people sleeping on the ground. With 2 people and their gear it was pretty crowded, and if it had rained it would have been a problem. The use of a cot or two solves that problem, and even allows the musket(s) to be suspended off the ground and out of sight on the cot cross braces. I will leave the use of cots to other threads of discussion, and a "search" on this forum will lead to some of that discussion.

I am 6'-2" tall, so with a 6x6x6 tent (which I have borrowed and used before), I always hit my head at some point, horizontally or vertically. I was very happy to find out that period-appropriate common tent dimensions would allow me to stand up and lie down in the tent with no issues.

John Orr
    44th Va, Co H
    Longstreet's Corps

John,

We have slept four people in my Common Tent with no problem. It works best to sleep "Cross-ways" rather then "Long-ways", especially in the rain. That allows people to roll over without touching the canvas. If you sleep "Long-ways", the two outside guys tend to rub the canvas when they turn over, causing the canvas to leak. Weapons can be stored along one edge, or tied to the rear tent pole. Other gear goes at your feet.

The only disavantage of sleeping "Cross-ways" is getting in and out of the tent. If the guy in the back has get up to pee, everybody has to get up to pee! It pays to put the guy with a weak bladder by the door! (That's usually me!)

A cot actually takes up a lot of room in a tent. Again, it's the problem of touching the canvas in the rain. You have to move the cot toward the center of the tent to avoid touching the canvas.
    Bill Rodman, If you need a really bad example.
    King of Prussia, PA
    wrodman1@aol.com