Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: shiloh pictures of 15th Iowa?

Hybrid View

Default shiloh pictures of 15th Iowa?

To all, I just returned from the BGA Shiloh and can say I had a great time and caught up with a lot of old friends from many different units.

The question I have is if anyone took a photo of the 15th Iowa while that unit was in line of battle on the field. If so, I would love to get a copy since I couldn't see what we looked like from inside the formation. I talked to many friends in other units while at the event and they all said it was amazing to see a full sized regiment but unfortunately, none of them took a picture.

I can be reached by PM or by email if you have one (or more) photo you are willing to share.
    Email address: clbopp@hotmail.com

Looking forward to many more 15oth events!

Thanks,
    Chris Bopp

Try this site: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikerhi...7629356081024/

I also have mine posted to FB if you care to find me there.

Co. H
    Thad Gallagher

Pit Rat Mess
    49th Ohio
    Huber Heights #777 F&AM

"...mostly of a rough and class [who] gave a great deal of of trouble by insubordination; but they did not lack courage..." Brig. Gen. Jacob Cox speaking of the 1st and 2nd Kentucky Infantry (made up of mostly Ohioans)

I have to say, it was amazing to see the 15th on the field. I was in Company C and took a hit on Sunday and watched as the brigade moved forward in battle. Impressive. All the other federals apparently agreed as during the march out to Sunday's starting point a great cheer went up from each part of the Federal line as the 15th Iowa passed.

WTH
    The Gladhemadeit Mess
    Yuma gonna luv it

Thad, found your photos, thanks! There are some really good ones in there. You have some great ones of Sunday's parade, I would love to see some of us on the field Saturday since we had a larger Regiment at that point.

Chris

Here is the photostream for Shiloh NPS, showing the battalion on the move across the park. As to photos from the field, I have yet to see anything come up.
    Bob Welch
    Dirty Shirts

Macomb and the Civil War
    , my sesquicentennial blog about life in Western Illinois during the war years.

I have seen a few on Facebook but nowhere else yet.
    WTH
    Yuma gonna luv it

I was with the Naval Contingent at the park and watched the 15th march off. They were impressive!

Geo. Dailey
    USNLP/NMLHA
    Acting Ships Gunner USS Tyler

Unfortunately, I have nothing from the field on Saturday. Just too busy, then I was drafted to use my Paramedic skills to deal with some heat patients until they could be medevac'd from the field. The stuff on Sunday was because a friend of mine wasn't participating due to a medical issue on Sunday. He grabbed the camera and went to town. I don't think I would have had much time on Sunday to get pics either.

I have been hitting youtube as well without success. I hope someone posts a video of us stepping off from the park Saturday morning. I would love to see just how long it took the column to pass!

Did find this from the Saturday battle. The 15th is shown about the 1:22 mark. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6v0SL...&feature=share
    Thad Gallagher

Pit Rat Mess
    49th Ohio
    Huber Heights #777 F&AM

"...mostly of a rough and class [who] gave a great deal of of trouble by insubordination; but they did not lack courage..." Brig. Gen. Jacob Cox speaking of the 1st and 2nd Kentucky Infantry (made up of mostly Ohioans)

It's really interesting to see us in action. I'm sure there will be more video popping up in the days to come. It seemed almost everywhere we went we were being filmed. I'd like to see some footage with the colors unfurled and the band striking up. It was amazing how much the music inspired and invigorated the men on our long march, just as it must have in 1862. To bad no one will probably ever see footage of our disembarking off the paddlewheeler in the night.The band was playing "Girl I left Behind", just as was done with the original cast . Guess we'll keep that one for ourselves.

I had the honor of serving as 2nd. Sgt Co. A 15th Iowa
    Last edited by E.Brown; 04-03-2012 at 04:34 PM.
    Eric Brown

Currently known to associate with the WIG / AG

"It has never been fully realized, nor appreciated by the people of the North-the great part in preserving the Union, the brave, loyal,and patriotic Union men, in the mountainous parts of the Southern states, rendered" - Orderly Sgt. Silas P. Woodall (2nd grt. grnd...) member of "Kennemers Union Scouts & Guides"-organized in Woodville, Alabama 1863.

Here is a site of a great guy. He said he took about 5000 pictures there. Not sure who would be in them , but you might get lucky and find yourself.

http://tgdavison-photography.smugmug.com/
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
    - Abraham Lincoln -

Brian Mensching

Capt. B.A. Mensching of the
    8th Illinois Cavalry Regiment ~ Company B
    www.8thillinoiscavalry.org