Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Antietam 150th - Artillery

A few thoughts.......

1. Artillery is the King of Battle.

2. I actually did horse drawn artillery for Shiloh. We fielded 9 horses. Pulled a 10 Pdr Parrott and a 12Pdr Field howitzer. We had (4) 3/4 or 1 ton trucks pulling guns or horses, spent about $1500 to go. I received the same bounty as every other gun there. (about $200) We had a great deal of trouble getting hay and water for our horses. (yes we ran our concerns up the chain of command 6/7 times never got either fixed). Then no one has a clue how to use you, which normally is ok, but sometimes the idiots in charge micromange you to death. At Shiloh I talked to everyone I could and no one knew what was going on at all. You have to be flexible!

3. Bugler: I tried for months to get a bugler, apparently none available. I called, recruited begged etc. Could get no one. I would have loved to have one.

4. Excess rank: The artillery rank complaint is placed by a bugler wearing Captains bars. (show some documentaion on that one) In fact how many infantry companies of 20 men have captains commanding them? Every other branch is just as guilty as artillery. A 500 man "Brigade" is still an actual regiment commanded by a Major or LTC.

5. Back to cost: It cost me $3000 to attend 1st Manassas last year. It was $1500 to go to Shiloh. I spent an estimated $3500 to maintain 9 horses over the winter. I am all with you, we need more harness and battery wagons etc. A short list of costs: 1 horse worth of harness from Doug Kidd $5000 (yes $5000 each, 4 horses $20,000) Battery wagon $20,000, forge $20,000 plus limber $7000 to pull each. So the BGA can't even pay me the $500 per gun they promised me because they do not have the money! (Manassas also complained a lot but did come through with the $750 they promised me) All of this is plus trailers trucks etc etc etc. I make Cannons for a living I would love to sell you all a Battery wagon and a traveling forge, cannons etc, plus guns and limbers too. (RJ rents a horses from someone else who brings it to the event for him). I feed 9 every day (I call them to eat by playing stable call on the bugle)

6. What we have done: I have 5 drivers we have practiced almost once a week for the last year. I get the drivers out but the cannoneers won't come out for practice. Our horses have finally come around and did really great at Shiloh. Otherwise we would have killed someone on the running the spectator gauntlet on and off the field both days. We have done road marches up to 9 miles as well as drilling and practicing hills, turns etc.

I have been trying to do this but I am not sure how much I can continue to hemmorage money to go to events that don't reimburse me even the money that they promise me, or have any idea of the scale of the difficulty or expense of what you are doing.

Volunteers, and donations are greatly appreciated.

Take care,
    Steve Cameron
    Burrough's Battery

Well, my repro Parrott was cast in ordnance steel and the Napoleon was cast in bronze, by the H.N Hooper Co. (Tooting my own horn) and inspected by Thomas J Rodman in February of 1863. Cast iron, unless it has at least a 1/2 inch DOM liner scares me. I recommend people read The More Complete Cannoneer by Matt Switlick.
    As to the original subject, if ones gun did not make the deadline, one should contact artillery command as most units can always use a few good men. There's no shame in helping out on the limber and such.
    Regards,
    Jeffrey Cohen

A bugler with captain bars?
    HAW! HAW! HAW!
    Regards,
    Jeffrey Cohen

Lightbulb Artillery-Forever

Jeff/Steve

I didn't realize Blowing a Horn------------------------------------had so much reponsibility. Maybe the rank of Captain is deserved?
    Steve your findings about BGA is no surprise, I question things after Twin Rivers after having been to Gettysburg 145th, Missionary Ridge, Brices Crossroads. They kicked me out of Cleburnes Division. Mrs. Lawson a Mod here on the Forum can back that statement up.

Always

Doug Thomas
    Lyons Battery
    1st Kentucky Vols CS
    TVB
    Holding on the High ground

Steve,

I feel your pain.

Where are you located at?

Pards,
    S. Chris Anders
    Southern Division
    www.southerndivision.org
    http://www.civilwarhenrico.com/

There is nothing more difficult to take in hand, more perilous to conduct, or more uncertain in its success, than to take the lead in the introduction of a new order of things. - Niccoló Machiavelli, The Prince. 1537.

Thumbs up Artillery-Forever

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Cohen View Post
    Well, my repro Parrott was cast in ordnance steel and the Napoleon was cast in bronze, by the H.N Hooper Co. (Tooting my own horn) and inspected by Thomas J Rodman in February of 1863. Cast iron, unless it has at least a 1/2 inch DOM liner scares me. I recommend people read The More Complete Cannoneer by Matt Switlick.
    As to the original subject, if ones gun did not make the deadline, one should contact artillery command as most units can always use a few good men. There's no shame in helping out on the limber and such.

Jeff

Safety does not have Rank. Helping other guns in Artillery goes without saying. Once you get the drill down everyone I've been around Artillery wise welcomes you with open arms. I've help others and others have helped me. We've all have to enlist other folks to help at times. What do I know, I've only been shooting and hauling like Steve said the King of Battle for 17 going on 18 years. Artillery Then now and Always.

Doug Thomas
    Kentucky-CS
    Holding on the High ground

Let's pull this thread back on focus.

Not that I'm really sure what the intended focus was, but it wasn't grinching at each other.

Once upon a time, we planned 5 years out and things were on everybody's radar who could read. The two fellers with the big calandars, well, one is retired and the other is dead. But at least some of us are working four years out.

And I felt really sorry for the Confederates stumbling along the Federal gun line in Saturdays fog saying 'we can't find our gun'
    Mrs. Lawson
    Weaver, Spinster, Strong Fast Dyes
    Knitted Goods and yarns available thlawson@bellsouth.net

Moderator, When I remember. We got Rules here!

Did your sales post disappear? Try again. But read the rules first.
    Here they are: http://www.cwreenactors.com/forum/sh...Classified-Ads

Register early and often!
    Eli Heagy
    187th PV

We welcome any and all new members and visitors, come see us:

http://thecommonground.proboards.com/

Quote Originally Posted by BurroughsBattery View Post
    A few thoughts.......

1 So the BGA can't even pay me the $500 per gun they promised me because they do not have the money!
    Mr. Cameron, who within the BGA promised you $500 bounty. I know it wasn't me and I have been in charge of the financials since the outset of the battle of Shiloh. Can you provide me with the gentleman's name?

We provide a powder bounty to each piece...and yes we gave powder to all pieces that showed up at Shiloh....pushing or over the 100 mark....2000 pounds of powder to be exact.

Sorry for the shortcomings on water....I will admit to that and have taken the lessons learned and used them to come up with new systems with more failsafe's in them. I believe I ran into you (or one of your guys) around midnight Saturday, promised to come back and fill your horse trough (which I did). That certainly doesn't make up for the days previous that you had issues but as I have said....lessons learned..new plans made. Moving on and working on the next event (with the corrections I needed to make).

Thank you for attending sir. I appreciate the time, effort and money that all of us put into this hobby.
    Mark Way
    Chief of Staff
    Cleburne's Division
    www.cleburnes-division.com
    150th Anniversary Battle of Farmington/Corinth - September 2012
    www.battleoffarmington.com
    150th Anniversary Battle of Vicksburg/Raymond - October 2012
    www.friendsofraymond.org
    150th Anniversary Battle of Gettysburg - June 27-30, 2013
    www.bluegraygettysburg.com
    150th Anniversary Battle of Chickamauga September 2013
    www.150thanniversarychickamauga.com
    Blue Gray Alliance member

Mark,
    I looked through my emails. I did not find a promise of $500, in retrospect it might have been the other Shiloh that made the specific $500 offer. I did find this nice email from Boo that definately made me think that more bounty was coming....

Dear Steve,
    I hear you loud and clear. I suspect I have received 40 percent of the bounties promised over the years. I believe that the leadership in the First Federal Division will not allow that to happen. I will forward this to the proper people and get you a response within the next 2 weeks. I can't even describe how exciting having a 2 to 4 gun mounted battery would be. Let's work on that getting in the field and I will do everything in my power to get some support for the bounty.
    Thanks!

Well we had a 2 field gun section. I pulled it together from 3 batteries, and spent money like a drunken sailor on shore leave to make it happen. We changed from CS to US because of the force ratios were so out of whack.

This was one for the first emails I received. It is in response to my complaint about being cheated out of a bounty from the same basic orgnaization before. This was 145th Chickamauga. We brought our gun and horses. I was promised $500. Someone in the CS chain of command ( I believe it was you) made the comment on the field to the CS Artillery commander to make sure and pay us. (more than once) Well....we never got paid. I sent several emails, I was told the umbrella organization had folded the week after the event, sooooooo we did not get paid.

I have been going to events for 12 years now. I believe the only organization that has not paid me an agreed upon bounty is this yours.

Also a word on the powder bounty we did receive. This is the military surplus powder that has been floating around for some time. I bought 100 pounds of it a few years ago at $4 per pound from Cormans in KY. He ground some of it up at his home, then one day in the process of grinding it up there was an explosion and he was killed. The other guy bought the balance of what he had and apparently continues to grind it up. It will shoot fine, but about 20% of it is dust. If you go by your own rules this powder is unkosher to shoot out of a cannon. The minumum is 2 Fg generally and parts of this are much finer. It is dust. The dust will leak out of the aluminum foil powder charges and will coat the inside of the limber with dust. Not good. Also, so the bounty was the equivalent of $100.

That was not me you ran into. The boys got really worked up over the course of the couple of days without water and were quite frustrated.

In spite of problems I had a great time at Shiloh, but it eventually becomes a matter of what I can afford to attend.

Take care,
    Steve